Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GL1500 popping out of 4th gear, pictures added!!!

my 94 1500SE developed a disturbing issue today, while doing some twisties today, the bike started jumping out of 4th into 3rd gear on the uphills. I can get past 4th into 5th just fine, and it will stay in 4th gear as long as I don't give it any throttle.

Called a local shop here in Phoenix and they are telling me the tranny is hosed, that after buying parts, specialty tools from Honda, etc that the best alternative is completely replacing the motor and transmission with a low mileage unit.

My bike only has 39k on it and I've been running the honda full synthetic oil in it. no heel/toe shifter or floorboards.

one more thing, since I've owned the bike (bought it with just over 31k on it) it has sometimes chattered going from 3rd to 4th gear.

I really want to go to St George for the region F rally on memorial day, and don't know if I want to trust it or if its something I might be able to fix over the next week and a half. I have the service manual for it and have done all my own work on the bike so far........

that being said, what are your thoughts?? tear it apart? trade it in fast? trust it?

:praying: please help!!!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Somewhat common problem on 94, 95 models. 97 they beefed up the transmission to cure it. From what I understand, about three grand to have it repaired at a dealer. Cheaper if you do it yourself, but involved process. Replacing engine may be the easiest way to go. Do a search here and you'll find plenty of info.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You can ride it that way many miles. A member here, Chromo, has put on @14,000 on his and at the moment is riding here Towing his trailer to buy my totaled 99 motor which we may put in his while he is here and then he will ride back to MO in a week or so. Just go easy on it, it will get noisy in 1,2,&3rd gears while backing off the throttle sounding like a box o rocks.
He will get a Valkyrie trans to put in his when he gets back to MO (he bought his bike that way with @32,000 miles on it from a member who decided to up grade rather than pay $3500 for a shop to put a new trans in. I heard that the shop rate hrs alone are @$3000.) I is fixable and if you are willing and able can be done with a used Valkyrie transmission parts, sometimes as cheap as $30-50 winning bid on fleebay. Just have to be patient in watching and waiting.
or find another 97-2000 motor to put in as they have the upgraded transmission from the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Just be aware that things can lock up suddenly when the transmission gets bad enough. My old `91 Aspencade gave lots of clanking noises to warn me that this was about to happen. Know people who didn`t heed the warning and had things lock up on them.

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
It pops out, because the rake has rolled the teeth on the gear, and it no longer couples completely.
If it were mine, I'd ride it. There is no evidence that the trans is coming apart. Just practice your three to five shift.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
If it were me I would find a good used engine 98,99,00 and swap it out. You want to be safe and not sorry !! Its your life not ours !!!

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
All it would take would be as loose bit of metal to get caught in the gears and.......

gumbyred

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
This happened to someone I know on a '93 1500SE. at somewhere around 50,000 miles. He bought it brand new, and had owned it about 10 years when it happened. He traded it in on a new 1800.

This is a serious issue, and I sure would like to know why it happens. It's one of the big reasons I'm afraid of the 1500. This problem is common knowledge on all the forums, and has affected a lot of bikes.

If it were mine, I'd just ride it until it completely quit, and sell it cheap. Replacing the engine with one of unknown condition is not something I myself would consider. I am no longer able to take on a project like that. Just ride with your hand on the clutch at all times, and be ready to pull it in quick if it starts to lock up. I got used to riding like that while riding a number of old 2 strokes that were prone to seizure. I had an old Vespa seize on me 3 different times.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
purchased full gasket set on Ebay for $177, the 47 and 36 mm sockets, going to go for it with service manual in hand and Bobby's article close by. Will be posting pics on my facebook page as well as the GWRRA AZ-R FB page as we progress, may post pics to the forum as well (if anyone is interested)

thanks for the feedback!

anyone that has done this repair happen to know the Honda part number for the correct fork to order, or any pointers?

Jeff Kaslon

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
hey hey Speeking for my self and I am very intrested in the follow up of this complicated task and I am sure many members will follow you

Thanks Jeff.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
still tempted to order 4th and 5th gears, the slide and the fork, but will hold off till I get it apart. I'm expecting to see exactly what Bobby N. showed in his post, so the temptation is high to order what he replaced (which I'm sure wont be what I need)
Will post links to my FB page as I have pics up so any interested parties can see the progression (or lack thereof :p)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I don't blame you, I'd go for it also!!

Even if you swapped the engine with a low mileage engine, you will still have that old paper weight just sitting there....... Tear it out and apart and give it a try, what have you got to lose? It may be easier than anticipated....... All things being relative however..... easy for you may be impossible for others..... Me? I would try it!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I wasn't aware of this being a 'common' issue on the 1500's till Saturday :*(

wife "suggested" that I clean the garage before beginning this project, so looks like probably tomorrow evening before I start turning wrenches.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a guy at work (harley rider) that advised me to replace the clutch and all springs while I had it apart, I've got 'only' 39k on the bike and don't think the clutch feels bad. what do you all think? I see the merit in replacing the clutches while I have the engine out and everything accessible, but then again, do I want to spend the extra money for a clutch set? a quick check on Ebay shows me I can get new fibers for less than 50 bucks.

is there a brand that anyone can recommend for clutch parts? or should I pay the extra bucks to Honda?

Criminy, my head is spinning and I haven't even began taking the bike apart! Clearing space in the garage is turning out to be a bigger project than I had anticipated!!! :wtf:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
DJ
If the clutch wasn't slipping do not change it. These clutches hold up for a long, long time unless abused or wrong oil type used extensively.

Jerry

It happens from the weak shift forks that Honda procured prior to the upgrade transmission in 1997 and up models.
Many times it resulted from owners with floorboards leaving their foot on the heal/toe shifter between shifts and the weak forks bent with the pressure on them. It also happened with the stock shift pedal on the pre 1997(1996 and earlier).
Chromo arrived the other night and we are about to put my 99SE motor in his 95SE that he bought a year ago in San Jose that had the 4th gear gone. He will trailer his motor back and fix it later once home.

And, it's not just happening on the 1500 models. The 1800s have transmission problems too. The local Goldwing guru over here at Escondido Cycle has replaced over 40 transmissions in 01-2012 1800s in the past 10 years. All the dealers send the bad transmission jobs to him as he is the only tech willing to do them in the SD area.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
one of our GWRRA chapter members had it happen on his 09 1800, dealer fixed it under warranty.

I was on the fence about taking on another payment and trading up to an 1800, now I'm going to jump into this repair and get to know my Goldwing intimately :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.