Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'94 GL1500 SE
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had he bike in for a check up a few weeks ago, and the only items they said needed attention were, a new windshield, tires, and a new radiator cap. They said the current cap did not pass ? My question is, since I have been riding with the old cap it never showed more than 1/4 as far as heat, now that I have put on the new cap, it goes up to almost 1/2. Not sure if that's normal with these bikes or not so I thought I would ask. I did check and there are no leaks from the new cap, and it's the right one lol just not sure why the needle moved that much.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
158 Posts
Half gauge is about where the needle is on most 1500, there is a possibility that if your cap did not hold pressure or your radiator was low from a bad cap then the coolant wasn't circulating properly past the temp sending unit and it was showing a lower reading. With the temp at half gauge just ride and enjoy, it's normal.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,360 Posts
I've had two GL1500s and the temp gauge on both of them would show about 1/4 scale when riding at normal speeds. The only time they would go up to 1/2 scale or more is when in heavy or slow moving traffic or when the engine is working harder such as going up mountain passes.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,993 Posts
I've had two GL1500s and the temp gauge on both of them would show about 1/4 scale when riding at normal speeds. The only time they would go up to 1/2 scale or more is when in heavy or slow moving traffic or when the engine is working harder such as going up mountain passes.
same here,
for a 94SE and 98SE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts