Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All:

Well, I got my exhaust system back together after rebuilding the rear brake master cylinder and now I am perplexed. The system is stock. I replaced all copper manifold gaskets. I am leaving all exhaust connections loose except for manifold bolts and have preinstalled everything to make sure there are no surprises but I have a question. How much of a bind should the setup be when I try to put the mufflers back on? I can understand a little tension would be necessary but I am really having to squish everything back to get the bolts in the muffler mounts under the saddlebags. It looks like at least a distance of one-third the diameter of the muffler mounting bolt. If I line everything up using a screwdriver to align the bolt holes it looks like this causes some added deflection to the saddlebag frame. All exhaust gaskets are completely seated against the adjacent flanges on the collector box. It may be that this is normal because it has always been difficult getting the muffler bolts back in but I wanted to get a second opinion so I don`t wear something out prematurely. Any thoughts? Thanks.

plain

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I have had my exhaust system off before and I do not remember it being that hard to line the bolt holes back up.

I am going to have to take mine off again in a few weeks to replace the rear brake line on the master cylinder as the master cylinder is just above the collector box.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Okay. I think I figured out something. The frame that holds the seat/luggage stuff pivots at the topmost part of the rear fender if you loosen two bolts to let the forked ends of the bottom of the frame free (this is where the crash bar rear mount is.). For some reason these lower mounting "yokes" are the problem because they go onto the pins too far and wind up moving the mounting holes for the mufflers toward the front of the bike. I had to loosen these two bolts on the lower "yokes" so they would allow the luggage bag frame to slide back a little. However this doesn`t seem to be a good way to have made the boltup. Another time I will have to take off the bags, and try to shim the pins to where the frame yoke seats properly and the mufflers will bolt up properly. Of course this will change the alignment of all my plastic between the bags and the fairing but hopefully I can adjust. Weird. Okay, Thanks Bamaeagle. You got me to thinking which is something I don`t often do a lot of. Have a good one.

plain

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

The "frame" you are referring to is the saddlebag stay. Be very careful about lining that up or you will very easily end up with tabs broken off of the side cover. There is a "seam" between the sidecovers and the saddlebag and it needs to be equal from top to bottom and both right and left sides or you risk damage to those tabs from too much pressure. Also make sure that you fully tighten those lower bolts that attach that frame to the saddlebag guards. They can loosen up and fall out and then you will run into alignment issues. AFAIK, those lower "yokes" on the saddlebag stay should go all the way in.

Unless you did the tilt up method with the rear end, or removed that saddlebag stay, the muffler mount holes should have been in the exact position as when the mufflers were removed so in the proper position. It sometimes takes a bunch of wiggling and rotating the mufflers up and down, back and forth to get them to line up but they do. They can be difficult. But if you did nothing to that saddlebag stay, you need to work the mufflers back into the proper position.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

It can sometimes be a struggle to get the rear muffler mounts lined up. I use a screwdriver to pry them closer. I would be wary about adjusting the saddlebag frame.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Sorry guys for no update recently. I`ve been working. I was successful adjusting the saddlebag frame the way I had mentioned above and the muffler mounting holes and the frame holes lined up perfectly. There seems to be about 1/8 of an inch or so of play so that now the saddlebag frame does not bottom out on that bike frame stickout. Whatever you call it. The exhaust system is correct. The PO had a slider on the ole boy and may have thrown the saddlebag frame off a little. I don`t know. The first time I tried swinging the saddlebags and trunk up to change a tire a few years ago is when I ran into this problem. Maybe one of these days I will take all the plastic off, make sure nothing is bent too bad if that is the case and reinstall all the plastic so that nothing is in a bind when I remove the mufflers. I appreciate you guys insight into this. Have a good one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.