Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

94 GL1500I wobble

867 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SailorKane 
#1 ·
imported post

I have been reading for a bit, seems there are some savvy folks on this board. I had an 87 1200 Aspy that I sold to move up one size, I'm still debating weather I did the right thing.

This bike is smooth as silk up to about 75MPH aside from wanting to travel every, and I mean every groove in the road, then at 80MPH the front end starts to shake, at 85 feels like it wants to rattle apart.

Where would one start on this issue. I have read about steering head bearings, wheel bearings etc however seems either one of those would appear long before 80mph.

I love the bike althoughthe handling is atrocious when compared to the 1200 I just sold. I have such far added the super brace, have the progressive springs on the bench and not installed yet, the front tireis a Dunlop 491 I think it says, not sure about the back. I had the Dunlops Elite III's on the 1200 and loved it, however now there are those that don't like them on the 1500's

Any input or thoughts are appreciated

Dan

See less See more
#3 ·
imported post

As you service the forks to change your springs, you will also change the fork oil -- those items combined will help considerably.

I would not suspect balance because that should show up at lower speeds, but some slightly bad balance would help to reveal that you have poorly performing fork dampening.

I would also look into the head bearings as well as the wheel bearings...

Of course this all could be from the tire itself - try to alter the pressure in the tire by a few pounds (softer will help to disguize some of the tire-induced oscillation) - Maybe you've got a little cupping (again, poor performing forks will cup tires pretty easily).

A few thoughts - I know that my 1500 was horrible (about 70mph) prior to a fork oil change. After the change it's a different bike above 80 even with a cupped front tire (EIIIs for both)

#4 ·
imported post

Fork oil eh?...a bit of mystery oil then as well. thanks for the input already guys, and Satan, you like the elite III's for a tire?. Seems there are mixed opinions as to which tire performs the best. I liked them on the last bike and am leaning towards them when I replace next year (season almost over in Indiana)

#6 ·
imported post

For straight line in the wet, I think they're not the best I've been on ...

... and they do whine in the turns (a lot with the heavier bike)

... but I have yet to feel unsafe or slippery on these things unless they are over-inflated.

I can say that I'm OK with the EIIIs, but I'm not out "selling" them as being the best tire choice - In my little hills here, they are plenty good 'nuff for me But I'll prolly try something else in a year or so when these are buffed smooth :)

#7 ·
imported post

a lot of high speed wobbles start with inadequate rear suspension. JB

#8 ·
imported post

I had a wobble due to steering head bearings on another honda (VTX). It showed up when you decelerated from, say, 45 mph down to 35 mph, with your hands very very lightly on the grips. Then it would wobble a lot. The wobble went away with replacement of the steering head bearings. Not sure exactly how it would manifest itself in the wing, but if its the same, then steering head bearings don't appear to be your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.