Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I have searched through hundreds for posts but I am unable to find the answer to my question. I have to replace my Left Handlebar Switch. As you know this switch includes the light low and high beam, turn signals and flashers and the choke attaches to the housing. Could someone please direct me to a video or pics of the removal and reinstall of this component.

I will greatly appreciate any assistance. The old switch is shot.....

Thank you,
Eric Wilberg

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
... I have to replace my Left Handlebar Switch....
-It only has two screws holding the halves of the cover together, both located on the bottom side.
-Once the halves are separated, the choke cable can be detached from the choke lever... then the bottom half of the switch assembly can be lowered/separated from the handle bar.
-At this point, you might consider just replacing whatever broken switch/es there are, rather than the entire housing... It would be a LOT easier that way.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,342 Posts
Take a look at THIS THREAD for some further info. Unfortunately I didn't include any pics but I think you will find some helpful info. The hardest part with the left controls is that part of the wiring harness is connected above the right fan and the rest of the harness connects over the left fan. I used some loose electrical wire tied to the old connectors so that I could pull the old harnesses out and then pull the new harnesses in. It is a royal pain changing the controls but IMHO, well worth it...

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I've replaced that switch many times. In addition to the items mentioned in other threads, I unbolt the rads at the top outer, lift up and pull them out of the rubber grommets on the bottem inner. Then you can pull them out a bit and get more room to route the couplers. Good time to tighten the top hose clamps, too.

The hardest part is routing and connecting the couplers through the plastic 'cage' that holds them on top of the cooling fans. It's 'doable' but some cussing will be in order. A long needle nose is helpful. It would be made easier by removing the fans, but I like that less...so I don't. Start to finish the job takes me just under two hours. I would expect first time you can double that and remember some swear words that haven't come to mind for awhile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Help! I have searched through hundreds for posts but I am unable to find the answer to my question. I have to replace my Left Handlebar Switch. As you know this switch includes the light low and high beam, turn signals and flashers and the choke attaches to the housing. Could someone please direct me to a video or pics of the removal and reinstall of this component.

I will greatly appreciate any assistance. The old switch is shot.....

Thank you,
Eric Wilberg
So I got the switch installed. I tore the bike apart as you can see. I did remove the fans to get to the connectors on top of each fan. If you have changed your on plugs you most likely have taken off that much plastic. The big thing was pulling the instrument panel out so i could get to the loom. The one really big pain is the tie downs that are attached to the frame. There were sever placed I had to cut them loose. Oh I also had to disconnect the speedo cable so I could pull the instrument panel up enough to get under it. It has been quite the adventure!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Eric,
I have just done same job on GL1500SE 1999 , I am about to do the right side now , ( and yes its an adventure as you said ).

I fitted the left side OK but on the housing there are two wires in a rubber boot and two wires with the same size spade connector with just insulation cover on the spades.

Trouble I have is which spade connector goes to which male spade. I neglected to note the colour of the wires on dis-assembly. Next time you are near your bike could you feast your eyes on yours and let me know what colour wire connector goes were please. You can see them just by looking near the larger boot , I think you will know were I mean. Thanks for any help and I will take it as a lesson when doing right side.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Hello Eric,
I have just done same job on GL1500SE 1999 , I am about to do the right side now , ( and yes its an adventure as you said ).

I fitted the left side OK but on the housing there are two wires in a rubber boot and two wires with the same size spade connector with just insulation cover on the spades.

Trouble I have is which spade connector goes to which male spade. I neglected to note the colour of the wires on dis-assembly. Next time you are near your bike could you feast your eyes on yours and let me know what colour wire connector goes were please. You can see them just by looking near the larger boot , I think you will know were I mean. Thanks for any help and I will take it as a lesson when doing right side.
Are you asking about the left control you have already replaced, and if so is it the boot at the top? If so, (it's the only rubber boot w/spade connectors) they plug into the brake switch and they can plug only one way, as there is one bigger than the other. The other 2 spade connectors outside the boot that plug in the upper part of the brake switch, can plug either way.

If it another location, you need to be clearer.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
BTW AIDY, this is an old post and Eric may not reply, his setting may not have been updated when the forum changed last year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.