Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought this bike last month so I'm not that familiar with it other then reading the manual. My question is: are all 5 pin intercom headsets interchangeable, no matter what brand they are?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi john and welcome to the forum the answer is no the honda lower cord wont fit the j&m reciver and vice versa they are wired the same its just5 pin plugs wont fit each other

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
hi john and welcome to the forum the answer is no the honda lower cord wont fit the j&m reciver and vice versa they are wired the same its just5 pin plugs wont fit each other
I'm beginning to wonder about that just like the OP. I've got a brand new Hondaline headset right here that says this on the speaker, Hondaline, produced by J&M.

I've also got an extra J&M upper cord here that's pinned on the helmet socket end identical to the Hondaline upper cord. I'll test it on my bike in a few minutes and let you know.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

I believe the question was, will all 5 pin headsets work with the Honda system, and the answer is yes as long as it has a dynamic mic. J&M, Chatterbox, IMC, Hondaline, and EdSets will all work. The cords between most of them are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ok, just got back from the shop and both upper cords, bothe the HondaLine and the J&M are labeled as "D" model cords, both work perfectly on the Hondaline headset.

So, in my case, Yes, they will inter-change. YMMV.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Wayne wrote:
I believe the question was, will all 5 pin headsets work with the Honda system, and the answer is yes as long as it has a dynamic mic. J&M, Chatterbox, IMC, Hondaline, and EdSets will all work. The cords between most of them are not interchangeable.
True, and I think this answers the OP's qestion better.

Ok, back to re-building my rear brake.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks guys (very much appreciated), but now you got my head spinning. When you say UPPER cord..do you mean the connector of the headset? So would that mean that the LOWER cord is what's coming out of the bike. If I understand correctly the M/F plugs may be 5 pin but not necessarily the same size to fit.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Most headsets come with 2 cords, an upper and a lower. The lower cord usually ends in a 5-pin din connector that then plugs into the bikes system cable.

I have here 2 J&M lower cords labeled as "PB" cords, the end that connects to the helmets upper cord is a female end with 8 pin holes in it and the lower end that plugs into the bikes system cord is a male, 5-pin din plug. The plugs on the lower cords are different on each end and even shaped differently.

In the last year J&M has come out with an economy headset that uses only a single cord from the helmet set to the bikes system cable.

Oh, and I finished re-building my rear brake today before the rain and cold temps moved in. Also got the passenger arm rest installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.