Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY "95 with 193K miles has a lot of mechanical noise coming from the driveshaft/universal area. This just started. I pulled the driveshaft out. Once out would it be OK to drop it in gear and rev it a little to see if the mechanical noise is still there. Would that damage the u-joint without the driveshaft mated to it? I am hoping that the noise is not from the tranny.

·
Administrator
22,371 Posts
I'd think the rear of the u-joint could act like a propeller and you would be taking a chance on the u-joint flying off the output shaft. There is some potential that would break something. If you take the u-joint off the output shaft, then run the motor you'd be okay.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
I'd think the rear of the u-joint could act like a propeller and you would be taking a chance on the u-joint flying off the output shaft. There is some potential that would break something. If you take the u-joint off the output shaft, then run the motor you'd be okay.
I completely agree with Dennis. :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My 91 u joint comeS off with the driveshaft leaving the splined shaft sticking out,it would be fine to start MINE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts