Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last ride (week ago) I noticed that the bike was bogging down and had no power over 3000 rpm. I could only get it up to 65 and when the throttle was opened all the way it would only bog down and not increase the speed. Today I ran a can of Sea Foam in the gas and re-filled the tank with ethanol free gas. None of this changed the performance in the slightest. Don't know if this bears mentioning but several weeks ago when I started bike, gas was leaking on the ground from what I assume was a stuck carb float. Carbs were rebuilt last year and bike is ridden at least once a week. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
You need to check the petcock you can bypass it and also the fuel pump and filter

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
This should be posted in the Technical Forum Dan. PM a moderator and ask him to move it over there.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
FYI How to bypass the fuel shutoff valve:

Stock setup:

Disconnecting outlet hose from valve; and outlet line from fuel filter:

The valve (now bypassed) and ready to go; Probably a good idea to keep the valve clean (for possible future use) by capping the inlet (shown with hose still connected) and outlet (shown with rubber cap installed) ends.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
That is good for those of us that did not know how to bypass that thing. Now if it leaks on a trip I know how to stay on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
DAN, When was the last time you changed your fuel filter. This sounds like a classic case of a clogged fuel filter not allowing enough fuel flow at higher rpm's. If your petcock is defective, I replaced mine with an electric shut off valve that fits where the stock vacuum valve sits.
http://dan-marc.com/79-afc1231412.html

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
+1 on Alex's photo tutorial. Study that 1500 owners. Aside from maybe an alternator failure or tire problem...the auto fuel valve is probably the most likely reason you'll be sitting on the side of the road instead of riding. If you do that you can ride away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.