Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So did an oil change on my 95 Aspencade SE. Primed filter prior to installing it. When I went to start the bike it cranked for an inordinate amount of time then finally fired right up.

My suspicion is that the filter had to pressurize before the engine would fire

I have seen this before on engines that have a pressure switch that kills the engine if oil pressure is (typically) less than 4 - 8 Lbs.

Did Honda include this on the Aspencade 1500 in 95???

Premium Member
No low oil pressure feature. It was just being stubborn.... 馃槑

Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Thanks.
Probably caused by being neither hot nor cold. Too warm for choke to cool for no choke.

Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do I keep double posting - Arrgh! Sorry.

Premium Member
How do I keep double posting - Arrgh! Sorry.
I just had a double post also. If you look at the top right corner of the double you can click on the three dots and choose delete.

Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just had a double post also. If you look at the top right corner of the double you can click on the three dots and choose delete.
Mike When I click on the three dots I see either Edit-Report or Edit-Create Poll - no Delete - On either original or duplicate.

Honda Guru
So did an oil change on my 95 Aspencade SE. Primed filter prior to installing it. When I went to start the bike it cranked for an inordinate amount of time then finally fired right up.

My suspicion is that the filter had to pressurize before the engine would fire

I have seen this before on engines that have a pressure switch that kills the engine if oil pressure is (typically) less than 4 - 8 Lbs.

Did Honda include this on the Aspencade 1500 in 95???
No.... there is no ignition shut off due to low oil pressure. Priming the oil filter before installation should have caused almost instantaneous oil pressure at cranking speed.

Administrator
A low pressure shut off on a road vehicle is not legal as is anything of the sort like overheating or whatever. Don't know why, it's going to stop eventually anyway if you keep going.

Registered
Semis will shut off after you get warned by an orange light,and a red light,red means you better find a stopping place NOW

Reactions: redwing52

Premium Member
A low pressure shut off on a road vehicle is not legal as is anything of the sort like overheating or whatever. Don't know why, it's going to stop eventually anyway if you keep going.
I am not sure about cars. There are automatic shutdowns on computerized diesels as they can cost upward of $40,000. There is a caveat though. Prior to an Engine Protection Shutdown the in-cab STOP lamp will flash for 30 seconds providing the operator with a warning to pull over to the side of the road as soon as safely possible. Audible alarms are also optional in the event of shutdown.
I wonder if that is because the government figures that CDL drivers have more savvy than an old Grandma going down the road. One day it might come on cars also????

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
a 30 second warning in a semi weighing close to 100,000 lbs ??
what a joke,

Premium Member
How old is your battery? When a GL1500 is slow to start my first suspicion is always a weak battery.

Administrator
I wonder if that is because the government figures that CDL drivers have more savvy than an old Grandma going down the road. One day it might come on cars also????
Probably so, a professional driver is way more likely to be paying attention and know a warning light means an immediate problem, not "I'll get that looked at next week". Never happen on cars, they are built with total idiots in mind.

Registered
a 30 second warning in a semi weighing close to 100,000 lbs ??
what a joke,
john it鈥檚 not 30 second till shutdown,when the red light comes on,it could be coolant,could be oil level ( broken oil line ) ,electrical it does a horsepower reduction within a set time from engine manufacturers,80,000 lbs before permits for more weight.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

Registered
Probably so, a professional driver is way more likely to be paying attention and know a warning light means an immediate problem, not "I'll get that looked at next week". Never happen on cars, they are built with total idiots in mind.
your correct Dave,we have loud buzzers that can鈥檛 be ignored

Premium Member
There really are some odd ducks out there. I remember the man or woman who sued the GPS manufacturer. The GPS said to take a left at the next intersection. She sued the GPS manufacturer for damage to the car because the next left was a railroad track. 馃槑

Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How old is your battery? When a GL1500 is slow to start my first suspicion is always a weak battery.
Age is unknown condition is as new 12.7v at rest. Normally fired up with authority. And did so once it decided to go. As stated previously I suspect it was a case of engine being too cool for full choke and too warm for no choke. Plsyed with choke a bit and ehen I found the right setting it started.

Premium Member
john it鈥檚 not 30 second till shutdown,when the red light comes on,it could be coolant,could be oil level ( broken oil line ) ,electrical it does a horsepower reduction within a set time from engine manufacturers,80,000 lbs before permits for more weight.
Not sure if true for all diesels but Cummins will give you the same engine if you order 300, 350 or 400 horsepower. The only difference is in the PCM. If you have the software you just go to the horsepower screen and check the box you prefer. The software has all kinds of features. It can even reward a driver a horsepower increase for exceeding a certain fuel mileage that you determine. Also can shutdown an engine that idles too lomg. You define what is too long. Cool stuff! 馃槑

Registered
All new diesels only idle around five min,some of them you can set the cruise and bump up the rpms and it continue to run,som you can set the increase in the settings.
you are correct on the hp range,but just anyone can do it,they require the original code of the motor from the factory.

Premium Member
Even 30 seconds with an engine pulling is probably going to do some major damage.

The Cummins in my combine has low oil pressure and coolant shutdown. When I start it, I have to push a button until it gets oil pressure or it will immediately shut down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts