Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my right fork leaking. I have a sealmate tool work with. I would like to remove the dust cover so I can get right at the oil seal to clean it. How do I get that dust cover off undamaged?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It just pops in,us something soft to tap it out.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I could be wromg but isn't there 2 screws to remove, there are under 2 caps on the bridge of it. maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I assumed he was referring to the rubber cap on top of the lower side of the fork?
44 i think

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assumed he was referring to the rubber cap on top of the lower side of the fork?
44 i think
You are right Pure Texas. It is as you described. I can't get it to even budge. I have pried and poked at it, nothing. There must be an easy way to get that dust seal off.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
294 Posts
Sometimes you need to violent with them, especially if that dust seal has been on there for a long time. I had to use a screwdriver and use it like a chisel. Put the tip of the tool you are trying to use at the base of the seal where it meets the lower fork tube, usually at a very acute angle. Hit the other end of the tool with a heavy object, like a hammer. Put the tool 180 degrees opposite on the seal from where you just attacked the seal and attack it again. It will come out eventually.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes you need to violent with them, especially if that dust seal has been on there for a long time. I had to use a screwdriver and use it like a chisel. Put the tip of the tool you are trying to use at the base of the seal where it meets the lower fork tube, usually at a very acute angle. Hit the other end of the tool with a heavy object, like a hammer. Put the tool 180 degrees opposite on the seal from where you just attacked the seal and attack it again. It will come out eventually.
Briese, That worked, just had to get physical with that dust cover. Tough piece of rubber, after alI I did to it, it looks undamaged. I drained the fork oil and will replace as I am not sure of the amount that leaked out. Hope that stops the leak.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
294 Posts
You probably didn't need to drain it unless you had the uncontrollable urge to replace the oil. It only takes about a teaspoon full to coat the entire lower fork tube. You probably could have just cleaned it up, used the Sealmate following their directions and then put it all back together.

Reactions: biker4jesus

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,378 Posts
In this case, I would change the oil too.
But be aware that there is a useful method given below to check the oil level and to add if necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts