Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

95 GL1500SE with an 11-digit VIN

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  newday777 
#1 ·
I need help. I just got my trike delivered after being stationed overseas for the last 9 years.
In March 2001, I bought a '95 GL1500SE in Japan, and brought it back to Viriginia in May 2002. In March 2003, I moved it to Texas & changed title & registration to Texas. From April 2003-June 2012, I moved to South Korea, Japan, back to South Korea, and finally to Hawaii this June.
Upon arrival to Hawaii in June, the DMV said I had to take my motorcycle to State operated RECON (reconstruction inspection) because it appeared I had a "Gray Import".
After the inspector looked at my trike, the VIN and the FMVSS label, because the label does not have the VIN, and my VIN is only 11-digits, he said he will have to ask around to see what he can do.
He has not returned any phone call in two weeks. How can I track my VIN? I have tried NMVTS and several other VIN checkers - no luck. I still have my Texas title, but as a civilian living in Hawaii, I have to change to Hawaii...which they will not do until they can reconcile the problem with the VIN.
Any suggestions on how to determine manufacture location, date, correct label?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure about the import rules for vehicles in the states. I canada you need to get federal paper work done on the bike when you import it. Then the various provinces will accept it for registration.
Also unfortunately you cannot import a bike that has been triked in canada.
wilf

#4 ·
That an interesting VIN to say the least, your missing the 1HF whiich means it was made in the USA. The SC means its a Goldwing, there should be a 223 (non-California) 224 (California model) these 3 numbers are for the model if yours is a SE non California it should read 224, your also missing the year of the manufacture which should be SA for a 1995.

Your Vin number should read 1HFSC22*SA1035134 *=3 or 4

Check you engine number a 1995 engine will be SC22E270000

#6 ·
The number stamped on the frame should be the VIN number, I know that the DMV in Oregon will NOT accept the VIN number on the label as proof of VIN.

I find it interesting that his VIN number is in that type of format. We know that all Goldwing (up until 2012) were manufactured in the U.S. so where is the 1HF, we know that it is a Street bike with over 900CC so where is the SC. Interesting? Why did Texas issue a title with an incomplete VIN number?

#8 ·
Okay just a shot in the dark here. Assuming the bike was triked in Japan perhaps it needed to be certified in japan as a new or modified vehicle and was given a new seieal number to reflect this.Perhaps someone with knowlege of the Japanese system could shed some light.
Wilf

#9 ·
i should have said the frame number could be trunicated having just model info and the sequential build as they do on cars/trucks.
if the last 6 of frame and motor match the last of full vin then it would be a
"matching numbers" vehicle

what about seeking help from the Secretary of State division of state police office?

#11 ·
Thank you all for your replies.
To sum up answering all the questions & to close out with the rest of the story, here goes...
1) The "bike" was purchased as a two-wheel in Japan; triked in North Carolina by a Lehman authorized dealer.
2) The numbers on frame & engine are not the same, but are original from factory. I bought it with 3,500miles on the bike.
3) Hawaii DMV did not care that it was previously registered in any other state.
4) Yes, it was built in US for export to Japan, but with US specs & labels. Just didn't put the VIN on the FMVSS label and a 17-digit VIN.

Finally, mid-November, the Honolulu RECON guy calls me and tells me all he could find out & let me take their letter of authorization to DMV for registration.
- The bike was built in March 95 for export to Japan as a police motorcycle (odd, because it was built & shipped with R176C paint, and all Japanese motorcycles are white)
- They track the vehicle being delivered to a dealer, but not accepted by the local police, and therefore the dealer sold the bike to a private individual (there the trail stops until my registration in Virgina, 2002)
- They track my registration in Virigina, but despite having the current Texas title issued in 2003, they cannot find record of de-registration from Virigina/re-registration in Texas.
- They noted my Japanese registration and Dept of Defense registration in both Japan and Korea, along with appropriate shipping documents.
- Despite a gap of first delivery and transfer to me, they note there is no report of stolen vehicle in Japan or in US, and I have had ownership since 2000. There has been no alteration of the VIN or frame numbers.

Given all that, they decided to force the entry into NMVTS and allow me to register my trike in mid-November - 3 months after delivery. I hope I never have to go through this ever again.

#12 ·
I'm glad you got that sorted out. What a history story!
My 83 came without the title. I had a bill of sale from original owner who had given the signed off title w/lien release to the guy I bought it from and he lost the title. I went to the DMV and registered it only to get a rejection letter saying the lien was never signed off as the original owner never showed the title to DMV. They said I needed a letter from the lien company of release, I got in touch with the original owner and he had the loan through his dental association credit union. I contacted them, they closed the loans office in 94-95 and no records were available.
6 months later state says I have no registration on my bike when I went to register it to go on a trip, they said I had to get a title insurance policy to cover them, DMV, for 3 years. That cost me an extra 3 days and $100. All because they wouldn't let the fact that a 1983 bike was long paid for be accepted because the original owner didn't show them it was signed off.
Hard lessons to learn, don't buy a vehicle without the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.