Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I have (for a bit of time now) had wafts of smoke when I start the bike up. If they were coming from the tailpipe, I could understand it (given that the bike sets on the side stand and a little smoke on start up is "normal"). This, however, is emanating from the front of the bike. Any suggestions?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Most likely you have a coolent leak on top of the engine and is steaming off as it warms up is there a sweet smell off it

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if it sits for a while its normal...could be a few things...some not important...some needing seeing to

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you all for your replies thus far. As far as the coolant, I am not certain it is a coolant issue for a number of reasons:

1) no sweet coolant smell. Smell might be described as a faint oil smell?
2) these wafts of smoke are almost immediate upon start-up (regardless of the bike had been sitting or ridden recently.

Worthy of note: I do have an oil leak (I cross-threaded the drain-plug bolt), but I am not sure how that oil could get to anything it could burn off of (given the bolts location at the bottom of the motor).

Regarding other possibilities:

BenMC mentioned exhaust leak. How could I check / verify this as the cause?

Grambo mentioned that it could be a number of things (some important, some not so much). What kind of things are you thinking? How could I check / eliminate these as possibilities?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Check for oil dripping from your shift shaft.............apparently quite common after 100,000 kms. or so (60,000 miles for you 'Mericans!) I get white smoke which eminates from the front left side on start up when the bike has been sitting for a while and I think it comes from oil heating off the block and belly pan near the shift shaft. Going in on Tues. for a new seal.

May not be the cause, and I always thought oil gave off black smoke, but in this case the oil is not burning but appears to just be heating off.

Let us know..........and here's hoping a new shift shaft seal solves the smoke in my case.

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Update...........had the shift shaft seal replaced. My mechanic reports that the old one had popped out of position and thus the leak.

Early yet, but no more white smoke on start up.

T.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Sweet.... I am curious, though, other than the white smoke, was there any other indication of problem that lead you to shift seal?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Yeah..........in retrospect there was a minor amount of oil on my bellypan and the underside of the block adjacent to the shift shaft which I noticed when I changed the oil and simply attributed to minor oil leakage from a 13 year old engine.

My mechanic (and I am fortunate to have a real good one!) says that he commonly replaces the seal when owners notice oil spots on the garage floor.........I guess something you may or may not get if you have a bellypan installed - it can serve to intercept and contain the oil.

I felt the same way about the minor amount of white smoke which occasionally emanated from the left side until the minor became major and it started to "chimney" up through my filler door! Upon closer inspection, I figured that the white smoke was coming from oil "cooking" off the block when it heated up. The white smoke issue wasn't consistent and I am assuming that the leakage was larger at some intervals than others - or maybe sometimes I just started and motored away right away and didn't notice the smoke in the slipstream.

There was also a certain amount of play or wobble to the shift shaft where it enters the block and it may just be my imagination, but while it still exists it appears to be markedly less pronounced now that I have had the seal replaced. With less play, I think I am getting more positive shift engagement as well. ..............but we all know how our imaginations work ............I am imagining winning the lottery at the moment as well!

Cheers!

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Oh yeah...........forgot to mention the "faint oil smell" which you also mention.
I suspect that if you have oil on your block, it too may be cooking off. Are you sure that the oil is coming from your drain plug and not the shift shaft seal (instead of or also)?

My first thought on seeing the white smoke was also antifreeze, but couldn't find any antifreeze laying around anywhere and wasn't losing any according to my reservoir dipstick.

Good luck! (and let us know)

T.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I am not positive about the condition of the shift shaft oil seal (will have to check that one). I am fairly confident that I still have an oil leak from the drain plug (as the plug is wet, etc)...

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Not trying to convince you that you HAVEN"T cross threaded your drain plug, but my plug was also wet - from oil weeping from the shift seal and "wicking" down the block.

T.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I wish i had seen this prior to paying someone to fix my cross-threaded drainplug bolt. Now i have an 18mm drain plug bolt and still have a leak (which I have taking the bike back to them to fix a couple times). Now I will investigate the shift-shaft seal. I hope this is the issue. If not, I might have to push my 95 off a cliff and convince my wife of 2 things:

1) it was an accident

2) I "need" an 1800.

:action:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.