Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the mechanics of my 96 Aspencade - my cruise control light comes on but CC will not engage. I just had my master cylinder rebuilt but the mechanic says the issue with the CC has nothing to do with that. Until Highland Cycle closed it had only been there for maintenance and repairs. It has been very hard finding a mechanic who will work on 1500s 😞 if someone has experience on what it might be, please let me know. If you try to provide guidance please remember my first statement - you may have to go slow and keep it simple so I don’t get lost 😎 Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
There’s a number of switches that have to work in conjunction with each other,first I would spray some cleaner inside the set switch,they get dirty and don’t make good contact but you need to assure the cancel switch on the handlebar is set in the correct place,it has a pin it locates on and the brake lever has to contact it,i had to replace mine earlier this year.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Check the front brake master cylinder switch connections. There 2 switches in 1 case . 1 for brake light, 1 for cruise cancel. Make sure they are plugged in all the way.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,586 Posts
I've seen the rear brake light switch get sticky and keep the brake light on all the time. Easy to check.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Clutch handle has a switch also

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have a '94 GL1500A and the cruise has never engaged, though the lights and handlebar switch seem to be fine. I finally found that the previous owner had swapped out the levers and the "new" ones when pulled in don't contact the microswitch on the handlebar as mentioned above. Amazing how a 1/8" gap disables a nice system to have but not worth the trouble to replace with OEM...hope you find your issue!

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the mechanics of my 96 Aspencade - my cruise control light comes on but CC will not engage. I just had my master cylinder rebuilt but the mechanic says the issue with the CC has nothing to do with that. Until Highland Cycle closed it had only been there for maintenance and repairs. It has been very hard finding a mechanic who will work on 1500s 😞 if someone has experience on what it might be, please let me know. If you try to provide guidance please remember my first statement - you may have to go slow and keep it simple so I don’t get lost 😎 Thank you in advance.
Which Master Cylinder was rebuilt, front or rear....???

I suspect you have a problem with one of the "four" Cruise Control Cancel Switches.

Also suspect something may have occurred during the Master Cylinder Rebuild.

Can help further when we know which Master Cylinder was rebuilt....!

I have a Cruise Control "Troubleshooting" procedure but don't think you need it for your issue...!!

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I have a '94 GL1500A and the cruise has never engaged, though the lights and handlebar switch seem to be fine. I finally found that the previous owner had swapped out the levers and the "new" ones when pulled in don't contact the microswitch on the handlebar as mentioned above. Amazing how a 1/8" gap disables a nice system to have but not worth the trouble to replace with OEM...hope you find your issue!
The Cruise Control Micro Switch at the front brake lever provides power for the cruise control to work when the lever is "out".

When the lever is pulled inward, that power is interrupted and the cruise control is cancelled.

If the two Cruise Control wires at that micro switch are connected together the Cruise Control would work (if all else in the system is good).

However, pulling in the lever would not cancel the Cruise Control as designed. You would need to cancel with the rear brake pedal, clutch lever or cruise switch on the handlebar.

Just a "work around" if you really want the cruise control to work......!!

Front Brake Lever Micro Switch:

1. Black/Blue wire: Voltage regardless of brake lever position (In or Out).

2. Green/White wire: Voltage with the brake lever “out”. No voltage with the brake lever pulled “in”

Clutch Lever Micro Switch:

1. Black/Yellow wire: Voltage regardless of clutch lever position (In or Out).

2. Green/Blue wire: Voltage with the clutch lever “in”. No voltage with clutch lever “out”.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
There is a cancel switch on the clutch handle.
There is also a switch so that when you pull on the clutch handle in gear, it will start.

Reactions: DBohrer

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
. I just had my master cylinder rebuilt but the mechanic says the issue with the CC has nothing to do with that.
There are switches on both master cylinders. If it was working before the repair, whichever it was it definitely has something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
There is a brass bushing on the clutch handle. Given age of bike I would try replacing it. They are cheap. Stock handle bar levers work best.
gumbyred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts