Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an opportunity to pick up a 96 Goldwing SE with 14k miles, been sitting since 2019, for $1000, the widow can't find the key so I can't check anything out. Cosmeticly it is in great condition, stored in garage with a cover on battery tender.

1. Take a chance on it?
2. Can a key be made from the VIN for this year model?
3. Is the key code on the locks?

New to forum and Goldwings, currently ride a Road King.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The key code is stamped on the back of all the locks. Usually a letter and two numbers like "A12" If the trunk is unlocked that might be the best place. Otherwise the gas door is pretty easy to pop open even if locked, from flex in the plastic.
Sounds like a great deal. Looks pretty mint from the photos.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
BUY IT YOU FOOL!!!

That's a very good deal! Parts are worth more than that!

You can always get a key made. Make sure she has the title. Depending on where you live getting a clean title might require some paperwork.

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,391 Posts
Where is it located? I can do you a favor and buy it first. Then I'll ride around for a couple hundred thousand miles to make sure everything is working okay. Then I'll sell it to you.
Sound like a good deal?

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Been setting that long,suspect a carburetor rebuild in your future,other than that,don’t run it long before replacing the timing belts.

Reactions: limpy45 and T140

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
I would jump on that deal, providing you can get the title. A key can easily be made for it because, as has already been said, the key code is on all the locks. From what I can tell in the pictures you posted, it looks really nice.
Try looking under the side panels for the key. One might be attached under one of them. Be careful pulling the side covers off. Pull straight out on them. There are some small studs that plug into a rubber grommet that can break easily if you pull on them wrong.

Reactions: T140

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Dear T140, I just did what you are considering. In August I bought a 98 GL1500 Aspencade. It too, had been sitting for a year or two. My thoughts were, have the carbs overhauled, new timing belts, bleed the brakes, change the plugs and I'd be good to go. First problem, I took it to a dealer that was suggested by the owner and later came to find out that this dealer wasn't much of dealership. They first took 6 weeks before they even touched it. Ok I get it...it was peak season and I wasn't a previous owner...I was low on the list. Because they were in a larger market (Front Range of Colorado) I thought at least they would do good work. Second problem, assuming they knew what they were doing. I have give some credit to them because before I took it in the bike wouldn't idle without choke. When I went to pick it up at least it would idle....albeit richly, with surging and leaking gas significantly. It was using gas at the rate of about 20 mpg. Because I was an idiot and the dealer was 225 miles from my home and they had take 2 months to get it done, I decided to take it home. What I found was that the petcock needed rebuilt, vacuum lines were still disconnected, the choke cable was loose from it's mounting point and the accelerator pump nozzles weren't squirting. After fixing all these things myself and running a couple cans of Seafoam through it, the bike runs much better.

The short answer to your question should you buy it? I'd say yes. But be prepared to be patient with the process of getting her back up to speed. You have all winter to get it done. Also, if you're not a little mechanical, it's essential to have a shop that will work on her. Its becoming more and more difficult to get parts and therefore find shops that will work on these older bikes. I nearly removed the carbs myself...but all the other issues seems to have fixed the problems. There's lots off support here and there, so doing some of the easier things yourself is very possible. Good luck!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,285 Posts
I always kept a spare key zip tied to something behind a side cover or similar.
This previous owner never rode the bike so I doubt they got that nutty. Check all the cubbies and nooks/crannies real good.
And for $1000? You CAN'T go wrong. Heck, a healthy dose of Seafoam might be all those carbs need.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: limpy45
1 - 12 of 12 Posts