Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Did...did I do that?
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Been a while since I've been around (Hangs head in embarrassment).

So I'm selling my 'Wing. Picked up a Yamaha Roadstar a couple of weeks ago.

Haven't ridden the GW in over a year - maybe 18 months? It won't start. The last time it ran, it started okay. A couple of minutes of just moving it around the yard and it started throwing blueish smoke from the left side of the engine (not the exhaust). I didn't have the funds to take it to a shop or the energy/shop space to work on it myself, so it sat.

Finally got it to the local Honda shop, and they couldn't get it running either. All they've said is something kind of rambling about it needing new carbs and they can't get the parts and it probably needs more work than it's worth because it's so old (!) That all really soured me on them pretty much for keeps, even if I ever ride another GW.

At any rate, I really have no desire to start pulling the plastic off again. That's one of the reasons I'm getting away from it. The Muskogee Honda dealership suggested Freedom Powersports in Rogers, about 2 hours away from me, but I haven't tried calling them yet.

Does anyone in NE Oklahoma have any suggestions or want to take on a paid repair/rebuild project? I was hoping to sell it, but a non-running bike isn't going to get me anything.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
where do you live?
I'm in Oologah, OK 30 miles north of Tulsa.

I owned two 1500s several years ago.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You have deliema,even if it was running It won’t sell for much,it’s a shame that the older wings are still great bikes but don’t sell for much,if you can’t repaire it on your own,selling like it is is your best bet,if you could get the carbs off there’s a place on here that will rebuild them for 350$, But they are difficu to get off,if you can get it started then add some add I’ve to the gas and hope it clears up,don’t know wher the smoke would be coming from other than the mufflers.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
My guess is the smoke is from an oil leak from the shifter shaft seal and it is getting on the header pipes. Not real easy to fix that but it is not too hard.... just time consuming.

Reactions: DBohrer

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
this guy is good

·
Did...did I do that?
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where do you live?
I'm in Oologah, OK 30 miles north of Tulsa.

I owned two 1500s several years ago.
John, I'm in the suburbs of Okay ( ;) ) about midway between Wagoner and Muskogee.

Battery may be a slim part of the issue, although the voltmeter was (only) showing 11 volts and change while cranking. Good strong crank though.

I just don't have the time, space, or inclination to get into it myself.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Bob,
I just looked at your blog, and your current story's TOPIC "After" is so close to the book I am reading right now, it is scary.

I am currently in Eureka Springs, AR and will be returning home on Monday.
ship me your ph# and address in a PM or email me at:
jtcraigjr AT gmail.com

I could stop by on the way home Monday for a cola and a look at your bike.

You can PM me, "Conversation" as this forum calls it, by clicking on my username and then select

"Start conversation"

or just Text me at 918.613.95....three....zero and I will call you back. anytime,
my phone is programmed to divert all calls not in my Contact List to voice mail.

I do Beta Proof Reading for about 3 authors, marking errors, suggest minor changes, etc.

·
Did...did I do that?
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike's still at the Muskogee shop. I'm tight on space here and didn't want to have to tow it twice.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Okay, I am home now.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Bike's still at the Muskogee shop. I'm tight on space here and didn't want to have to tow it twice.
Don't let the shop "snow" you on extensive repairs to get it running....!!

I doubt it should take too much to get it running. We have brought a couple GL1500's back to life after sitting for 3 - 5 years without much difficulty....!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Spent a long time with my mates and intermittent bad starting, new battery fixed it even though the old one diddnt drop to below 10 and we had a jump pack on it.
This was after we replaced pulsar coils for zero spark

·
Did...did I do that?
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They don't want to touch it at this point. They did their $85 one-hour diagnostic and all they've said is "It needs new carbs, and we can't get those anymore." /shrug They're closing for a week starting Saturday, so I've got some time to work something out.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
They don't want to touch it at this point. They did their $85 one-hour diagnostic and all they've said is "It needs new carbs, and we can't get those anymore." /shrug They're closing for a week starting Saturday, so I've got some time to work something out.
What a crock. It does not need new carbs...!! They came up with something "major enough" to get you to leave.

There are carburetor rebuild kits available here......

But I seriously doubt the carbs need to be rebuilt.....!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts