Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went for a ride yesterday evening with my wife and on the way back we had the "sputtering, acting like its out of gas" thing happen with a half-tank showing on the gauge. Waited 10 minutes and it fired back up. Rode another mile and it did it again. Waited, fired up, did it again. Finally got to a gas station. Topped it off with a couple gallons of new gas and made it back home (~50 miles) with no more issues.

I've been reading threads in the forum and have seen quite a few possible explanations:

• vapor lock (wait, open gas cap)
• bad auto fuel valve (rebuild kit available)
• water or crud in gas (seafoam treatment)
• faulty gas cap (clean with seafoam and/or drill a hole)
• clogged fuel filter (replace)
• faulty fuel pump (rebuild or replace)
• bad fuse somewhere (replace)

What's the best course of action to diagnose or fix this issue? Or, should I just start replacing and cleaning parts?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

• vapor lock (wait, open gas cap)
No such thing on a GL
• bad auto fuel valve (rebuild kit available)
Wouldn't have made a difference with the full tank
• water or crud in gas (seafoam treatment)
• faulty gas cap (clean with seafoam and/or drill a hole)
• clogged fuel filter (replace)
• faulty fuel pump (rebuild or replace)
Bingo
• bad fuse somewhere (replace)
Nope

I would keep the top half full when it's warm out and see if it has a problem with the lower half tank when it's cold out. If it holds this profile then it's just about gotta be the fuel pump.

Either change it or keep the top half full.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

+1 on what Rudy said....fuel pump....Yep..been there done that..

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Having just replaced my fuel pump on my 96I sounds like it's the fuel pump to me.
Bad thing is you don't want to be on the side of the road when it does quit.
When you accelerate does it feel like it is starved for fuel?
I replaced mine with an automotive pump and it runs great.
Best of luck.
Gary:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

78OldRide wrote:
Having just replaced my fuel pump on my 96I sounds like it's the fuel pump to me.
Bad thing is you don't want to be on the side of the road when it does quit.
When you accelerate does it feel like it is starved for fuel?
I replaced mine with an automotive pump and it runs great.
Best of luck.
Gary:thumbsup:
I'm convinced. Which fuel pump did you go with? Yes, felt like it was starved for fuel.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

From reading post on this site for automotive fuel pumps I went to Autozone and asked for the airtech (Ibelive thtas the right name. Any way 1996 Honda civic carburerated 4-6 psi. Don't get the Injector pump to much pressure. Any way search the site some really good information.:waving::thumbsup:Gary

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

When the engine tries to die, are you able to keep it running at a lower speed, say 20mph?... If so, then it may be the case that the Fuel Valve/Petcock is the problem. Try bypassing the valve, and see if the problem goes away.

A hint I heard of (but have not tried) works if you have a Vented Gas Cap and a dead fuel pump: Carry a 3ft length of clear plastic tubing... when the pump fails, then connect it to the Vent on the gas cap... Supposidly can blow into the tubing and Pressurize the gas tank enough to provide a fuel supply sufficent for extended low speed riding (20mph). If you can do this next time, then you'll know that the fuel pump is bad.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
When the engine tries to die, are you able to keep it running at a lower speed, say 20mph?... If so, then it may be the case that the Fuel Valve/Petcock is the problem. Try bypassing the valve, and see if the problem goes away.

A hint I heard of (but have not tried) works if you have a Vented Gas Cap and a dead fuel pump:  Carry a 3ft length of clear plastic tubing... when the pump fails, then connect it to the Vent on the gas cap... Supposidly can blow into the tubing and Pressurize the gas tank enough to provide a fuel supply sufficent for extended low speed riding (20mph). If you can do this next time, then you'll know that the fuel pump is bad.
It pretty much just slowly dies like it is starved for fuel, won't go at even a low speed. I've been keeping it topped off with fuel for the time being and haven't had it happen again (yet, knock on wood).

Blowing into the tank to keep it pressurized is interesting. I read that another fellow had installed a hand bulb pump inline with the fuel filter and would give it a squeeze as needed. Goes to show that necessity is the mother of invention :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I'm experiencing the same problem, and haven't found the solution yet. I did a fuel pump flow test and that appears to be good (6 oz. in 10 seconds = 60 oz/minute, well above the recommended 21 oz/minute). Mine also happened (several occasions) with about 1/2 tank of fuel or less, always in hot weather. Hope you find a solution to your problem; it might be the same as mine.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

dwlarson wrote:
I'm experiencing the same problem, and haven't found the solution yet. I did a fuel pump flow test and that appears to be good (6 oz. in 10 seconds = 60 oz/minute, well above the recommended 21 oz/minute). Mine also happened (several occasions) with about 1/2 tank of fuel or less, always in hot weather. Hope you find a solution to your problem; it might be the same as mine.
I wonder if you'd get the same flow test result if you tested the pump under hot weather conditions? When you did the test were you pushing the gas through the fuel filter?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

And it's just about impossible to check it in hot weather anymore this fall -- we're pretty much done with that in Colorado! :laughing:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I had a back and forth on starting issues with Rudy this summer in the 'heat period'. He was right on waiting and seeing what happens. I think I have come to think of the bike as tempermental, and not take everything as an issue that needs attention unless it persists.

So I avoid dropping into a Hells Angelsdrinking spot for a beer on a 100 degree day and expecting a possible quick get away..

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

78OldRide wrote:
From reading post on this site for automotive fuel pumps I went to Autozone and asked for the airtech (Ibelive thtas the right name. Any way 1996 Honda civic carburerated 4-6 psi. Don't get the Injector pump to much pressure. Any way search the site some really good information.:waving::thumbsup:Gary
So which fuel pump works on the 1500? 96 Civic? Are any modifications required?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Predator wrote:
I had a back and forth on starting issues with Rudy this summer in the 'heat period'.  He was right on waiting and seeing what happens.  I think I have come to think of the bike as tempermental, and not take everything as an issue that needs attention unless it persists.

So I avoid dropping into a Hells Angels drinking spot for a beer on a 100 degree day and expecting a possible quick get away..
Yes, I had the pleasure of meeting Rudy in person last night and we talked about it. The hot weather, weak pump, low gas level, possible partial obstruction of the fuel filter...could come just-right together and lead to it acting "tempermental".

And I agree with ya about staying out of those bars too. Let's just head up to the mountains and find a quiet place to throw a few back.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

tlbranth wrote:
78OldRide wrote:
So which fuel pump works on the 1500? 96 Civic? Are any modifications required?
The one I've heard works best is the OEM.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

jblack5 wrote:
Predator wrote:
I had a back and forth on starting issues with Rudy this summer in the 'heat period'. He was right on waiting and seeing what happens. I think I have come to think of the bike as tempermental, and not take everything as an issue that needs attention unless it persists.

So I avoid dropping into a Hells Angelsdrinking spot for a beer on a 100 degree day and expecting a possible quick get away..
Yes, I had the pleasure of meeting Rudy in person last night and we talked about it. The hot weather, weak pump, low gas level, possible partial obstruction of the fuel filter...could come just-right together and lead to it acting "tempermental".

And I agree with ya about staying out of those bars too. Let's just head up to the mountains and find a quiet place to throw a few back.
The pleasure was ours. Thanks for taking the time to ride down to see us.
You guys need to know that this guy is a party animal. :action:

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Guess I am just lucky because I have never had a fuel pump go bad in the 400,000 plus miles riding Gold Wings. Plugged up fuel filters, and bad vacuum fuel shut off valves, yes. A Mity Vac, and a length of 1/8" windshield wiper hose will check out the vacuum fuel shut off valve. I have gotten bad gas that required frequent fuel filter replacement. I would replace the fuel filter if it hasn`t been changed in awhile.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

The Airtek pump #is E8371. But it will not last long because it's flow is to high 30-40gph.The stock pump is about 10gph.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

gumbyred wrote:
Guess I am just lucky because I have never had a fuel pump go bad in the 400,000 plus miles riding Gold Wings. Plugged up fuel filters, and bad vacuum fuel shut off valves, yes. A Mity Vac, and a length of 1/8" windshield wiper hose will check out the vacuum fuel shut off valve. I have gotten bad gas that required frequent fuel filter replacement. I would replace the fuel filter if it hasn`t been changed in awhile.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.
Since I don't know when it was replaced last, I'm gonna do the fuel filter tomorrow regardless. I'm kinda doubtful that is the main problem though since it seems to have corrected itself (for the time being at least) without the fuel filter being replaced.

Btw, I know its a dumb question, but what exactly does the vacuum valve do?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.