Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 96 goldwing no nothing about a goldwing. was wondering if the goldwing has a wet clutch. getting 31 mpg is that about right or should it be getting more? been riding a kawasaki 1500 classic for years

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Yes, all Goldwings have wet clutches. My '97 gets between 37 and 40 MPG, so you are low there. Unless you like driving 85 MPH, and rocket off the line all the time. Don't know your driving habits...

What part of Texas?

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
31 MPG is low I get 40 all day long.

What is the mileage.

Now the fun begins with a complete tune up and check for vacuum leaks, carb trouble, ignition malfunctions.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
When I first purchased my '97 in 2009 it had only 6,500 miles on it. I was told it had been sitting for a couple of of years. At first my mileage was down near 30 mpg. Now I average 36-38 mpg (using California junk gasoline) riding a 66 mile commute on California Freeways. My speed is up around 70-75 or I would be run over by the cages.

You might try running some good carb cleaner thru several tanks of gas. This plus an air filter, plugs & synthetic oil change brought my mileage up to where it is today. Start with the simple things before tearing into the bike. BTW I came off a Kawasaki Nomad before the wing....-Rich

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the milage is 54000 on my 97 1500 classic was getting 30 mpg and i tooke the stock filter off and installed a 9in after market filter for a chevrolet and mobile 1 and started getting 39 t0 41 mpg i know Honda GW is totally differant is their a after market filter system i could use?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I also used to have a Vulcan 1500 Classic, '96 model. Engine blew at just over 30,000 miles when the plastic oil pump gear blew. As best I remember, it got over 40 mpg. But big twins tend to do better on gas mileage than a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. My fuel injected GL1200LTD, which is only a 4 cylinder, only gets about 35 mpg. Yet the plugs show no sign of running rich. I have the stock air filter. I am a big believer in stock air filters. A less restrictive filter may let more air through, which may improve your mileage a little, but it also leans out the air/fuel mixture, and allows more dirt to get through, which can shorten the life of your engine.

Take a look at your plugs and see what they look like. If they are almost black and/or have carbon deposits on them your engine may be running to rich. If they are a medium tan color, your mixture is fine. I do tend to ride just a hair over the speed limit, which is 75 mph on the freeways in my state.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum Michael. A good service could be what your Wing needs to give better miles per gallon.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
A less restrictive filter may let more air through, which may improve your mileage a little, but it also leans out the air/fuel mixture, and allows more dirt to get through, which can shorten the life of your engine.
That is not exactly true.
A larger filter with equal quality filter material will catch as much dirt or even more dirt before it gets to the engine. With a small filter you will have a higher vacuum on it trying to suck that dirt in with the air. A larger filter will have less vacuum per inch of area so is not sucking at that dirt as hard. Less suction on the dirt means the filter can trap it easier.

Also the engine is what determines the air flow volume. The carbs just mix the fuel with the air passing by. If you want a richer mixture by all means run with your choke half closed if you want. I'd prefer to just open the choke and let the engine breath normal LOL
That's the same as your doing with a small restrictive air filter or a larger less restrictive filter using the same filter material. Just because the engine can breath easier with less effort does not mean it breaths more or changes the mix ratio. 1 cubic foot of air is 1 cubic foot of air.

Also a larger filter stays cleaner longer, simply an issue of volume. Spread the same amount of dirt over an area 2X as large and in a whole that area will be 1/2 as dirty as spreading out equal amount of dirt in 1/2 the area.

I do feel the Honda stock filters are fine and no reason to be changing them to anything else. The problem with 30mpg is not needing some other air system, it's getting the existing systems right.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
the milage is 54000 on my 97 1500 classic was getting 30 mpg and i tooke the stock filter off and installed a 9in after market filter for a chevrolet and mobile 1 and started getting 39 t0 41 mpg i know Honda GW is totally differant is their a after market filter system i could use?
Don't fix what ain't broke, instead find what is broke and fix that!

I have 2 1500's and the 88 got 37.8mpg and the 95 gets 40-42mpg. Both have the stock air system. Also that is using the 10% Ethanol regular. If I can get pure gas my MPG may go up a little, but I seldom can get it.

Many things can effect your MPG.

Do a tuneup, check for vacuum leaks etc... Air the tires up. I think most people run higher PSI than Honda shows. I run 44psi rear and 42psi front though it may depend on what tires you have.
I think Honda shows 32 or 35psi for front, to me that feels like riding on a flat LOL

Many of us run Delo 400 oil, some Rotella, no need for any fancy high priced stuff.

Run some Seafoam through a couple tanks of gas to clean out the carbs.

Do you have a big tall windshield, I think some of those cut the MPG a bit also. My 88 had a TALL shield and when I'd hit a head wind I knew it! I always thought that was part of the reason for it to have lower MPG than my 95 which has a shorter shield.

Also you can change where you buy gas at if you been using mostly one station.
I have got bad gas once in each 1500 where for just one tank I dropped to about 30mpg but next tank I was back to normal MPG. Try other stations/brands. Only need the 87oct. the higher is just a waste of money and 1500 may not run as well on it either. My 95 does NOT like premium even though it was pure gas, ran bad on it but on 87 10%E it ran great! MPG was no better on the pure premium, I think worse as I recall!

Also when checking MPG when filling always rock the 1500 a little and be sure to fill to same level each time of course. You can get an air bubble in the tank sometimes the way it is shaped, so one time will not hold as much gas but next time may hold more. Rocking the bike a little helps avoid that bubble.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i rechecked my gas mileage after replacing oil, oil and air filter and plugs and now getting 32 mpg around town with stop and go driving and 39 mpg running 70 mph will have the carbs balanced and see if that helps a little. thanks for all your replies

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
i rechecked my gas mileage after replacing oil, oil and air filter and plugs and now getting 32 mpg around town with stop and go driving and 39 mpg running 70 mph will have the carbs balanced and see if that helps a little. thanks for all your replies
39 mpg at 70 mph is bad at all, not sure if you could squeeze much more out of that.

So did you dodge the tornadoes in Granbury last week?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.