Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking this up Friday.I am rather excited. The last wing I owned was a '79 model, which I regrettably sold.

Anyway,looking forward to cruising this summer, tho won't be doing it all from the wing. We have a ho-made toy hauler that we will be using for our 4-6 week sojourn.

I have to give a humongous "THANKS,EH?" to SidecarMike for his assistance in helping me make this choice. :)

New Member Brad
Farkle addict
Sutherlin,OR

Attachments

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts

Very nice and The Fastest Colour......:claps:

·
Premium Member
67,775 Posts
That's nice.. Does it take time to adjust to the width

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
That's really nice looking! I have the same year and color. I like the matching sidecar.

John

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Congratulations. Is it made by Champion Sidecar? Does it have electric lean? It looks really good. Now, before you hit the highway, go find a big empty parking lot and practice, practice, and practice. Then you need to practice some more. Practice fast hard accelerations, fast panic braking, and figure eights. Learn how much it takes to "fly the chair", or lift the sidecar off the ground. Always remember, there is a tipping point. Once that is reached, there is NO going back, only over. I can get through 3rd gear flying the chair. I've gotten really good at left hand turns where I come into the corner really hot, brake late and hard. What that'll do is pick up the rear tire and the weight of the bike "pushes" the sidecar to the right, or make the back of the bike fishtail to the right. Right after it starts to fishtail, I countersteer to the right which sets the rear tire back on the ground and regain traction on the rear tire. I've then made a ninety degree turn really fast. I'm then on the throttle and getting gone. Must warn you, if you miss time the turn, you'll do one of three things. One, spin the rig completely around or two, brake too late or not enough and not be able to make the corner and slam into the curb. The third options really screws you up if you don't get the countersteering right, you'll slam the front of the car down onto the pavement and loose all control. But again, practice, practice, and practice in a big wide open parking lot. I have a high school about a mile from my house I practice at 2-3 times a month. Once you learn to really ride a sidecar, they are BLAST!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
What Wingman said! Tho I'd like to add:

- be sure to start out with about 100 pounds of ballast in the car when ya practice. When you feel comfortable, start taking weight out.

- Humans make for poor ballast while you are learning.

- Wives hate it when you call them "Ballast"

- and "Monkey" is also a poor choice!

:cheesygrin:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
What Wingman said! Tho I'd like to add:

- be sure to start out with about 100 pounds of ballast in the car when ya practice. When you feel comfortable, start taking weight out.

- Humans make for poor ballast while you are learning.

- Wives hate it when you call them "Ballast"

- and "Monkey" is also a poor choice!

:cheesygrin:

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Forgot about what the true term of the passenger is....Monkey. Will have to concur, wives DO NOT like being called that!!!
Oh and don't ever fly the chair unintentional or intentional with the Monkey...err wife in it. I had to learn the hard way. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Ballast? What is ballast? An unballasted sidecar is actually harder to control than a ballasted sidecar. At 100+ MPH an unballasted sidecar can create a pucker factor of 20. Seriously, OldSchool is right. ALWAYS run ballast for at least the first several months or 10k miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your responses,eh?

Yep, I've got ballast all lined up and will find a parking lot to practice in. Unfortunately, it does not have electric lean, but I am seriously thinking of adding it. DMC said around $1600 for parts and labor.

Now, to patiently wait till Friday..:lash:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the club, from Cottage Grove...

You should check this thread out. We are holding our 6th West Coast Wingnuts Jamboree and Mosquito Roundup in Cottage Grove this year. Love to have you with us...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/393912-wcwjamr-6-a.html
When is it? We are planning a trip to MI in mid-May.

Picked up the unit today. After some investigation, the PO and I found out that it does have the electric tilt option. :claps: 'Tis a happy day,indeed!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Cool beans and Congradts on the purchase and picking it up with the tilt. I may have to get a red SE to replace my crashed white SE. I like the red a lot. But I still have the white trailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.