Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed timing belts yesterday. Wish I would have started bike before I began to make sure it's not a pre-existing condition but I don't think it is as it run fine when I put it away 2 months ago.

Here's my issue. While changing belts I had an issue with the pulse gen that sits in the middle of belt compartment. It was stuck and couldn't get it to swivel out of way to remove belt. It took alot of wiggling to get it to come loose and swivel. Now i have no spark at any plug. Bike did backfire real loud one time but most of time it won't do anything but spin. Backfiring to me means timing problem. Believe me I checked,rechecked, double checked, and then checked again, the timing marks before during and upon completion of job. Spun engine by hand several times also and marks always lined up perfectly using the T1-2 mark.

I have a multimeter but am not real up on the use of them.Going to do some research on this to try and make sure I know what I'm doing so I can check pulse gens.

I have done belts on other bikes before and never had any problems doing do. Any help in laymans terms would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
bump

Not much help other than to keep it up top so people see it.:?

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
First check that the kill switch is on, and that the cruise light comes on just to be sure it has power to the ignition. It may have nothing to do with the timing belt install. Even if the cams were out of time it would not effect ignition operation.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh, I checked all that first Dave. Mine won"t crank with kill switch. Would the pulse gen cause my problem if i did hurt something wiggling it around. I used a meter on gens and got .490 on both.

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
I keep forgetting the late 1500s won't crank with the kill switch off. Really an ohm reading is pretty meaningless on those, they can check fine and not work. They should put out a small AC voltage reading when cranking. Yes you could have damaged them if you got too rough.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The holes on those gens are recessed or kinda like a countersink. It acted and looked like it was corroded on as I had to work at it really hard with fingers to get it to pivot so I could remove belt. Had to get gently rough with it.

How do I check them for that small amount of voltage you are talking about. Manual just says unplug and take ohm reading.

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
In the same way you checked the resistance, set the meter to the lowest AC voltage range and crank the engine.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Don't know which plugs are sparked by each pulse gen, maybe someone can chime in, but if the plugs which are controlled by the other pulse gen are firing, and those controlled by the p. gen you twisted aren't then yes I would suspect you damaged something.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I'll try that. Gonna have to get a helper or make me a couple alligator clip jumper wires. Thanks again Dave. I'll let ya know what I find out. Might be a couple days as work tends to get in the way.

You all healed up and back to 100%?

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know which plugs are sparked by each pulse gen, maybe someone can chime in, but if the plugs which are controlled by the other pulse gen are firing, and those controlled by the p. gen you twisted aren't then yes I would suspect you damaged something.

No fire at any plug. Pulled them all and layed them on head. Nothing. Was going to start bike with covers off to make sure belt tension was OK before I buttoned it up and this is where I'm at. I too thought it strange that no fire on any cylinder. Scratchin my head here.

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
I don't know if a 1500 is like a 1200 but they will not fire at all with 1 bad PG.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Might just call local dealer tomorrow and see if they have a set. What's $80-$100 bucks among friends. That's about all it could be unless it was a problem before belt change that I wasn't aware of. Dam I wish I would have started it before belt change.:lash:

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
It might be a ID-10-T error.... But seriously, did you check the condition of the battery? And how old is it? Try seeing what happens to the battery voltage when you hit the start button. I had one that had a shorted cell and wouldn't provide enough power under load to start the bike. When turning the ignition to run, the dash would light up and the idiot lights would all come on for a second. But when I hit the start button, the voltage would drop to well under 10 volts so no start. I think when it first happened, it first started up and then backfired and shut off almost immediately. After that I couldn't get it to start. I did attach jumper cables from my wife's car (of course the ignition was off on the car) to the bike and it started up just fine but when I turned it off and tried with just the bike's battery, it again was a no go. Once I replaced the battery I was back up and running.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
:wtf: Pwhoever thats mean to kick a man when he's down. :ROFL: He might suffer from CRS but he didn't get the ID-10-T error like I did a week ago.:raspberry::?

Jack let us know what you figure out. I'd be interested to know before I tear into mine to do the belts.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It might be a ID-10-T error.... But seriously, did you check the condition of the battery? And how old is it? Try seeing what happens to the battery voltage when you hit the start button. I had one that had a shorted cell and wouldn't provide enough power under load to start the bike. When turning the ignition to run, the dash would light up and the idiot lights would all come on for a second. But when I hit the start button, the voltage would drop to well under 10 volts so no start. I think when it first happened, it first started up and then backfired and shut off almost immediately. After that I couldn't get it to start. I did attach jumper cables from my wife's car (of course the ignition was off on the car) to the bike and it started up just fine but when I turned it off and tried with just the bike's battery, it again was a no go. Once I replaced the battery I was back up and running.

Yeh the battery is good Mike. Checked that too. In fact I hooked my old battery up to it to so had two good batteries hooked to it. I'm still thinkin I screwed up that PG.

Read on another forum about using an LED to check them with to. I'll try Daves idea of checking for small voltage.

I'll let ya'll know if and when I get it figured out.

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
Read on another forum about using an LED to check them with to..
That might work, like a noid light for checking for injector pulse.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Post said you can either hook it in line if PG on bike or if PG off bike hook LED up and use a good magnet passed over PG to lite up LED. Too bad I don't have a single LED. :sadguy:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Any progress on the Wing Jack? :?

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven't been back out there Don. Thanks for checking on me. :)

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Wish i was closer Jack so i could give you a hand with this one...:claps::claps::claps: but seriously if i lived closer id be there....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.