Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey gang,

My 97 with 54k miles has started having an issue with Reverse staying engaged. I pull up on the handle and it won't stay, even before I press the starter button. If I hold the lever up, reverse works just fine, other than being very hard to handle with one hand.

I'm sure it needs an adjustment, just looking for some direction.

I have a Clymer manual, worth a darn for this issue?

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Rick you do know you should pull the lever out to relese the locking pin then when its in the upright position you push back it to lock it up most reset to the lock with out having to push it i would remove the cover off the handle then remove the handle and spray WD40 all around the components, the ajustment is on the right side beside the oil dip stick there is a mark on the bell crank to lighen it in the right position

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hey Rick
Peter is right. Pull the lever apart and clean and lube the pin and cables along with the round cable hubs(both ends of the cables).

I'm still on my trip. Been in NH for 5 weeks working w/a brother in Christ who needed some help on some jobs. Might be out of here before snow flys, Lord willing. Hope to be headed south along Blue Ridge Pkwy to TN and into AL to see my younger brother and if time, stop by and say howdy to Rudy. All depends now on when I get out of here.
God Bless.
Stu

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'm not following guys.

I have never pulled the lever out, essentially away from the bike, rotate the level up and the back in towards the bike. Is that what you are saying? I have owned this bike for 7 years and have never operated it this way and it only started acting up a couple of months ago.

Also, I don't see how pulling the lever out will release the pin, isn't the pin in there to help rotate the mechanism?

Guess I'm lost but will have a look at it this weekend

Any links or websites that shows this operation?

Toy4Rick

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Mine always had to pull out (to the left) a bit, rotate up and would pop back in the upright position. It then stays in the upright position until I then pull it back out (again to the left) and it will now rotate back down again. IIRC, there is little teeth (for lack of better term) that are on the handle that fit into the matching part on the bike. When you pull out the 'teeth" disengage but then fit back in when the handle moves inwards. It is these "teeth" that will prevent the reverse lever from moving up or down. Maybe there is a piece that was removed by the PO and not put back in or maybe the "teeth" have been broken off. It should not be able to pull straight up. By chance has the rubber cover over the handle been replaced or is it the original rubber? If so, maybe that is causing the handle to stick out and not allowing the teeth to engage properly.

I think I am describing the whole thing wrong but it should lock in the down position and again in the up position.....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You shouldn't be able to lower the lever without unlocking it by pulling the end out away from the bike. It sounds like your latching mechanism is out of whack. If it doesn't lock in place the reverse will drop out when the lever drops just a little bit. Misadjusted reverse cables could also cause a problem, take a look at the bellcrank where the cables attach. There is an index mark on the bellcrank and engine that lines up when in reverse, adjust the two cable ends to make sure there's very little play in the lever and that the index marks will line up.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Well I was way off. Agnogel had a better description of it. Sorry. It was bothering me so I just had to go and look at it. But if you look at ther base of the handle, inside you will see a spring. That is there to make sure that the handle moves back in whether at the bottom position or the up position. As you pull out the handle, you should see that long rod also pull out. That will allow the handle to rotate. That rod when in should lock the position of the handle. When that rod is pulled out, it will allow the handle to rotate. The rod/pin does not help the mechanism to rotate, it is there to prevent the mechanism from rotating. It is possible that the rod/pin had been installed improperly which isn't hard to do, the rod/pin is bent, or the spring is dirty or broken not allowing the handle to move inand out properly. Here is a diagram of the reverse handle. The rod/pin is part #6 and the spring is part #4

I have seen cases where those not familiar with removing the reverse handle will first improperlytry and remove the phillips head screw. If that was done by the previous owner, he may have screwed up the spring or maybe even removed it. The proper way to take the handle off is to remove that center bolt, part #12 and usually I do it with the reverse lever in the up position. I find it easier to relocate that pin/rod back in the hole. IIRC, I use a T-40 or T-45socket bitto remove that bolt and it is a breeze to remove.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hey gang,

Thanks for the great responses. Since I have owned this bike for 7 years now, I have taken that lever off at least a dozen times and always do it by the center bolt (#12). I will dig into it today and let you all know what I find out.

It worked great until just a few months ago and no maintenance was performed prior to that, which is kinda weird.

Toy4Rick

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Rick
Like all cables, those need lubrication too, as well as adjusting.
I just got burried in 18" snow in NH. What happened to fall?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hey everyone,

Everything moves very freely, lubed the cables, nothing needed adjustment... however what I did find out was how/why the pin works. Never knew it locked the lever in either position as I never moved the lever away from the bike to release or back in to lock that I know of, at least it wasn't a conscious thing. Now that I know this, it just takes a bit more patience to lock it in before moving on.

The plastic might have been away from the bike by a mm or two which could also cause the level to not reset and lock the pin.

Looks like I am OK now

So while I had it apart, I check the battery and found it was low on water, nice to poke around, never know what you will find

Thanks again everyone
Toy4Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.