Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have noticed that my LCD display has the intermittent issues that these are apparently known for. Mine seems particularly related to humidity, as has been discussed before. Am planning on trying the circuit board cleaning and sealant that has been written about several times in these forums. However, I recently noticed that when cruising down the road with the display not visible, that when the display suddenly does become visible, simultaneously the dash indicator lights will light up briefly just as they would if you had just turned on the ignition key before starting. The cruise on, cruise set, oil, etc., all come on briefly when the LCD display comes on. Haven't tried it recently, but at one time a while back, I noticed that the air compressor also would not work until the display was visible. I am looking for any insight into this issue, as it seems to me that if the display issue was strictly related to the humidity effect on the circuit board, that would not effect the dash indicators or the functioning of the air compressor. The first time I noticed it was at night, and thought I had some major failure of the electrical system. It took several repeats of the issue for me to associate it with the appearance of the LCD display. The bike runs great, and the lights coming on the dash has no effect on the bike when riding. Just thinking that this issue is a little bigger than just a humidity sensitive board. Any ideas ? Anyone with the same experience ? Does cleaning the circuit board solve all of the related issues ?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I haven't heard of that happening before, usually it's just the LCD that fails. I guess it could cause issues with the other dash lights, but you won't know for sure until you fix or replace the LCD.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I have the same symptoms on my 96. It is humidity related and you can try to fix the issue. But you have to remove the speedo cluster, open and remove the speedo , tach, and then the LCD panel. Disassemble the LCD panel and thoroughly clean and reseal the circuit boards and then HOPE this corrected the issue.

It's an involved process and it may or may not correct your issue!

However..IF you decided to do this..its a good time to replace the lights in your speedo/tach to LEDs.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I haven't had that issue on my 1500, but now that I said that, I probably will. You mentioned the comressor not working when the display was off, and all the lights flashing when it comes back on. What about a loose connector? I was told that the compressor won't work without the display, so if the connector or a wire is loose, it may be causing the problem.

Ride Safe,
Rich

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that was the reason for my question. Seems to me that an issue of humidity affecting a circuit board for the LCD would only effect the LCD. There appears to be more of a main power issue if the dash lights (which do go through their normal test mode with the ignition key on sequence), and the air compressor, are effected as well as the LCD display. Interestingly, the LCD light always comes on as normal. Just don't know where to begin tracing a common power supply issue.
It occurred to me after writing this that I may actually be dealing with 2 separate issues. 1.) The lack of LCD display when key is turned on, and 2.) The clock gaining or loosing time after a key off event that coincides with high humidity. I had been assuming that this was the same issue as described by others regarding the clock issue. Maybe others are only experiencing the clock issue, and not a display issue as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.