Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but was curious about the fitment of the Polk 401's in the front and rear of a GL1500 SE. The rear speakers in particular have a very confined space (depth) to fit in. Has anyone installed these on a later model 1500SE without depth or mounting issues because of the larger magnets ? Have seen comments both ways. Most say they fit perfectly, but have seen comments about depth problems, as well. Also considering the 401's for the front, since it is technically the same speaker as the 501, with a smaller mounting frame. Is the larger 501 frame needed in the front to reach the mounting screws ? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
I put the Polk 501s in the front on my 1500. No depth issues. Nice upgrade but don't expect miracle sound.
The 401s are an inch smaller and should work in the rear but too small for the front openings.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I put the 501's in the front just had to redrill mounting holes. Then put 401's in reap pods I had to notch the plastis a little bit for maganets to fit but not hard to do. No miracle on sound but it is nice improvement over factory speakers.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The notching in the rear is what I suspected, given the space available. Was trying to avoid that, but apparently not with a speaker that has an improved magnet structure. NeedleNick, when you say an inch smaller, I guess you mean the frame. From what I've been able to figure on the specs, the speaker cone and rubber support appear to be the same size on the 401 and 501. Odd that they'd have gone to the trouble of making another speaker without increasing the size of the actual cone. Thanks for the info guys. Love this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.