Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my wing started the other day after it sat for 3 yrs, ran great with choke half on(not a concern yet) but what i had noticed was coolant coming our from the bottom...figured it was a hose from the amount. Anyhow after running it until it warmed up, i changed the oil , plugs new air filter. plugs looked normal no smoke from the tailpipe and the oil looked normal just extremely in need of a change. things that were next on my list to do while its all a part...timing belt, thermostat and water pump(but i question if it needs it) sorry for the winded explanation of work that was done.

question is, do wings have freeze plugs, i have what appears to be a hole under the manifold ? where it goes to the engine. i had poured water into it where you fill it up with coolant and it pours out underneath where i just tried to explain and i can become a contortionist and get my hand under it and plug it with my finger and the leak stops...on the left side, i think the same thing is also happening on the right side as well (have yet to explore that side)

anyone have any suggestions / ideas i need help with this not sure if i should fix it or scrap it i really dent want to scrap it i have owned since the 98 leftover from the previous year when i bought it off the show room floor

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Probably worth repairing. Quite a job to replace thermostat. You will be right in where the leak probably is by the time you get to it. My old `98 all of a sudden started over heating on a 70 degree ride one evening. I managed to get it home, and had anti freeze all over floor next morning. I put a new water pump in, but that wasn`t the problem. I had dealer tear into it, new thermostat, and some plastic fitting by carbs had broke.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Probably worth repairing. Quite a job to replace thermostat. You will be right in where the leak probably is by the time you get to it. My old `98 all of a sudden started over heating on a 70 degree ride one evening. I managed to get it home, and had anti freeze all over floor next morning. I put a new water pump in, but that wasn`t the problem. I had dealer tear into it, new thermostat, and some plastic fitting by carbs had broke.
gumbyred

thanks for the reply, i do plan on changing out the thermostat and timing belt because they have yet to be done since i bought the bike. and i really would hate to fix the leak put it all together and have those 2 item go out on me next

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do appreciate the advise but it is not answering my question, are there freeze plugs on the manifolds?

·
Administrator
25,350 Posts
i do appreciate the advise but it is not answering my question, are there freeze plugs on the manifolds?
No there are not.

·
Administrator
25,350 Posts
thank you. so i basically need to order new manifolds then
Where exactly is the coolant coming from? The intakes do have coolant hoses going to them, maybe 1 broke. Did it have antifreeze in it?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where exactly is the coolant coming from? The intakes do have coolant hoses going to them, maybe 1 broke. Did it have antifreeze in it?
dont know if it does or not, i have not been able to get it removed yet, from what i read i need to remove my carbs and i am having difficulty on getting the screw loose, but the snip below is the best i could find, where i have it circled and arrow is where the coolant is pouring out

·
Administrator
25,350 Posts
Well I'll be, they do have casting plugs.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'll be, they do have casting plugs.
would you recommend new plugs or new/used manifolds, i am leaning towards new manifolds , i would hate to put new plugs in just to find out that there was an internal crack that i cant see

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Were it mine, I would glob it up with JB Weld and put it back on.

lol.....i like my bike to much to do that , even though its old , laid it down about 8yrs back to avoid hitting a deer so it doesnt look as nice....and the 2020 sure are pretty..but.....it has sentimental value to me so i am attempting to try to bring her back to her former glory

·
Administrator
25,350 Posts
would you recommend new plugs or new/used manifolds, i am leaning towards new manifolds , i would hate to put new plugs in just to find out that there was an internal crack that i cant see
Take them off and look at them first. If it froze and popped a plug I would be worried about the rest of the engine.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take them off and look at them first. If it froze and popped a plug I would be worried about the rest of the engine.
well i all ready had it running and idling it seamed to be fine, plugs looked good as can be when i pulled them out , oil looked like old oil, so far i am not concerned with the rest of the engine, or maybe i dont know enough about them to be concerned

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
I have a set of intake manifolds for a 1500 Gold Wing you could have for shipping costs, if you are going into it that far. Leftover from my 1500 4th gear failure.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a set of intake manifolds for a 1500 Gold Wing you could have for shipping costs, if you are going into it that far. Leftover from my 1500 4th gear failure.
gumbyred
Thank you I appreciate the offer but I had already ordered them earlier today

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Keep us informed how things go. I can`t imagine intake manifolds failing to the point of needing replacing. Maybe real old anti freeze turning to a acid?
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep us informed how things go. I can`t imagine intake manifolds failing to the point of needing replacing. Maybe real old anti freeze turning to a acid?
gumbyred

i will keep everyone informed once i get the manifolds off i will inspect them see what they look like, but ineed to get my carbs off first i am scared of stripping the phillips head out of them

1 - 20 of 52 Posts