Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1997 Honda Goldwing. Only 11,050 miles Reverse light goes on and you hear motor try to engage. Starter not affected starts every time. does anyone have any info or ideas on what this problem might be. what is involved in the reverse mechanism for this bike. can i access all the reverse parts without splitting the case? any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

The reverse is in the starter. I would first check the cables from the reverse lever to make sure that they are not too loose. Sounds like it is engaging the switch but not the gears themselves. The cables run from the right side at the reverse handle over to the left side near the bottom.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

AJ
Had the same problem with mine. It would sometimes work in reverse and sometimes not. The "R" light would always come on. I had trouble with the reverse switch this spring and replaced it , now reverse works great. No more miles than are on your scooter you might try cleaning the switch real well with some contact cleaner GOOD LUCK:action:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

the bike in question was actually a machine I was interested in purchasing. however i opted to buy a different bike. the machine I purchased is a 1988 wing with @ 50k miles on it. the bike is pretty clean and runs great. I plan on changing the timming belt and fluids, and checking the air filter, also the rear/front brake pedal is soft. I will try bleeding it to see if that cures the problem. The bike also feels like it is over steering. I haven't checked the pressure yet as i only had time for a quick ride, so far. Is there anything else you recommend I check or change? Also I will be looking to replace the chrome trim over the lights and a new front disk cover. Any recomdations on where i could find these items at a reasonable price would be appreciated. thanks for the time and info

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

Filters: air, oil, fuel, sub, cruise and compressor. Fluids: Brake and clutch, coolant, engine, fork and final drive. Test charging system and service battery. Change plugs. Grease axles and lube splines. Lube speedo cable. Spray switches. Lube cables.

Give everything a look see and enjoy your new ride.:action:

JD

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

wow ! very thorough! sounds like good advice. thanks for the tips. greatly appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.