Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all,

When I have the Intercom turned up and apply the front brake, a single pop comes into the headset. Not sure if it comes through speakers.

Any ideas?

Thanks Rick

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

toy4rick wrote:
Hey all,

When I have the Intercom turned up and apply the front brake, a single pop comes into the headset. Not sure if it comes through speakers.

Any ideas?

Thanks Rick
Well if it isn't showing up when you use the rear brake alone it's most likely a little arcing in the front brake switch. Try some contact cleaner first then take a good look at the switch and it's wiring and plug socket connection.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Paul,

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out:clapper:

Rick

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey gang,

I noticed that the clicking noise happens only when the intercom is turned up. I can also hear the turn signals click with the intercom up. Nothing when the interncom is down or off.

Any ideas

Thanks, Rick

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's possible you have a filter capacitor that needs replacing or is disconnected.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Paul,

Filter capacitor, like the sounds of that (no pun intented) Where would that be located and what would I be looking for?

Thanks for the info

Rick

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I know this is a very old thread but....here is the fix.
I built the DIY headsets found on this site (they work great) and discovered I had a pop in the intercom audio when the brake lever was released. The pop was there with hand or foot brake. A quick look at the brake circuit diagram revealed that there was a brake relay.
Having a background in electronics I suspected that the relay had no reverse damping diode across the coil. A diode installed here will short the collapsing electromagnet field when the relay is de-energized and prevent it from creating a pulse back into the control circuit. I installed the diode on the back of the relay package which is located under the left rear cover right beside the fuses.
The diode is installed so that the "anode is grounded and the cathode is connected to the green / white control wire to the brake relay". Short lengths of wire and heat shrink tubing in addition to the diode will be needed.
This info applies to my 1998 SE but would apply to any of the other models using a brake relay (some don't) although wire color may be different.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I agree about the damping diode, except that if the relay is energized to illuminate the brake lights, it means the pop from the relay coil pulse will occur when the lever is RELEASED, de-energizing the coil. The original poster said it occurred when the lever is applied.

I'm fighting similar noise right now in my 1100. I installed a headlight modulator, and it injects noise continuously into the intercom (not the radio or CB - it seems the intercom is extremely susceptible to noise).

I'm going to rummage around in my parts bin and see if I can build a small regulator/noise filter to put onto the intercom power supply.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I have often found that attacking the source of a particular noise first usually works better then trying to clean it out of whatever it's affecting.
I agree, if there is system noise it seems to show up in the intercom first.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

circuitdoc wrote:
I have often found that attacking the source of a particular noise first usually works better then trying to clean it out of whatever it's affecting.
I agree, if there is system noise it seems to show up in the intercom first.

Tim
I agree...but in this case, I *know* what the source of the noise is - it's the headlight modulator switching a 60 watt headlight on and off four times a second.

I'm going to do two things:

- Run a new, heavier gauge fused & switched (relay) wire directly from the battery to the headlight

- Regulate and filter the power at the source of entry to the intercom, adding a few large electrolytics to attempt to even out the voltage ripple caused by the modulator.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I get a bit of noise in the headsets on the intercom when the Kisan modulator is running also. Since the modulator doesn't turn the lighting circuit on and off, it simply varies the current to the bulb, I suspect it's the switching chip that's operating thepowertransistoror what ever the circuit uses to vary the current. I don't think the size of wiring is going to do much for that. It's either going to take a filter right at the modulator circuit or possibly shielding of the modulator. In my case it's not enough to be a bother but it's there.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Just a thought but since you don't hear the noise when using the radio or CB it might be entering through the mic circuit. You'll hear the noise through the intercom and folks receiving you CB will hear the noise.

Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.