Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 97 just started acting up. I've not been riding much this year due to health issues, so she's been sitting on the center stand most of the summer. I went out to fire her up a bit, and when I took the cover off the bike, I must have hit the turn switch and engaged the left turn signal. The spring is gone, so the switch will not self center. Without thinking I got the switch to the center and pushed it in, turn signal off, reached in and pulled the button out, everyone is happy. (um.. no)

As I was checking my front tire, I noticed my cornering lights were on, but my turn signals were not on. Normally I would be happy, I like the look but, the bike has not been modified for the driving lites, so this is an issue. On top of that, I have no NEUTRAL indicator and worst of all, the bike won't start.

:sadguy:
HELP

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The battery is charged and in good condition after the long layup time?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Battery is new last year, had it on the tender for most of the summer, but I think I'm going to replace it and see if that does it. Funny thing is, I had it running this morning. This afternoon, I was going to put it in the garage, and it won't start.

Again the cornering lights are on, without being modified to do so, no neutral light, and I can hear a relay clicking (single click) and the headlights go out when I hit the switch. If I pull in the clutch, still no start. It really sounds to me like she thinks she's in gear, but, I tried that too, hit the button and pulled in the clutch in gear, same relay click, same light indications.

Driveway is on a slight down angle, but if it doesn't start, I can't get her back up the driveway, so I'm not going too far down to try, till I get some muscle to help get it back...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Side stand up? If it thinks its in gear, side stand will need to be up and clutch pulled in.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Did you raise the reverse lever while you were working on it today? Sounds like the lever isn`t all the way down, or you have a sticky reverse switch. Reach under side cover by lever and see if you can free it. Those O.E. springs on the turn signal switch are pretty bad. Mine is the same way. Till I get it fixed right I have a piece of elastic tie placed under switch to give it the spring action to work properly.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I am so glad to be running in this crowd, I did check the side stand, the center stand and the reverse lever. All 'appear' to be in their proper position.

My gut, the larger of all of us, thinks it's got to do with the neutral / reverse issue, but why are my cornering lights on?

Tomorrow, I will go out and rock it back and forth with the reverse lever up (I don't know why). :?

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

The cornering lights are going to be on if there is no power to the tail/marker lights so see if they are working or not. Without getting the manual up I would guess the #3 relay or I think #8 fuse.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Cornering lights are off now, all lights including tail lights are working fine. (btw, Tail lights were working as normal, even when the cornering lights were on)

I put the bike back on the center stand, wiggled the reverse lever, and still nothing. Neutral indicator is still dark. Still getting the relay clicks. Clutch lever depressed or not, no start.

I am starting to think it still an issue with the reverse mechanism. When the reverse lever is up, you loose the Neutral Indicator, and you can not start it up.

I will play with that for a bit and report back soon.

Just want to thank everyone for their input.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Does the OD light come on, when you shift to that position?

check the ground sensorfor the reverse, near to the oil fill cap, I went through essentially the same issue with an '89 as I follwed the trouble shooting guide in the manual, my neutral indicator would come on itermittantly, and generally never when you wanted it, it was suggested to test the shift sensor, and that was the issue, inexpensive part, but a pain to replace, requires removing front cover of the engine, but to test it, is a matter of removing the right lower fairing to get to the connectors.

Ben

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Check the reverse switch for proper operation. It is there by the reverse lever. You might have to take off the fairing cover to get access to it. Also will need to remove the allen head bolt from the center of the reverse lever and pull it off. Give it a few shots of electrical contact cleaner and operate it a few times and see if your neutral light comes on. WD40 will work in a pinch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.