Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke out the bike after sitting in garage all winter, did my basic service work and went for a ride. Clutch lever has way too much free travel and almost does not disengage the clutch to shift. Is this a clutch lever rebuild or worse, a clutch cylinder rebuild. I see no signs of a leak anywhere and it was working fine when I parked it last fall. Looking for a little guidance before I do something wrong or not necessary! Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
Fill the fluid and drive it. Might have to fill the fluid next year or maybe not.

If it doesn't come back when you fill it take the cover off and be sure the return hole is not corroded shut at the bottom of the reservoir. :)

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
The DOT4 fluid needs to be changed (sounds EXACTLY like what I had trouble with). Drain the upper reservoir ALMOST empty and use an old toothbrush to clean up that nasty rust-colored gunk on the bottom. There is a smallish shiny silver "tab" that you'll need to gently pry up and clear out the "return" line. I used a "torch-tip" (the hole is really small) and poke it in until you free up the gunk inside.

You'll notice that anytime you park the bike with the front wheel turned to the left, that reservoir and the return hole is the lowest part so all the gunk runs downhill and clogs it up. Your clutch will be perfect once you clean the fluid, reservoir, and return hole. DOT4 fluid is cheaper than trying to deal with the master or slave cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I found the clutch fluid so easy to replace, and bleed out in the 1500, I was doing that job every spring. The previous mentioned brass bushing on clutch handle also needs to be checked. Do you have after market clutch and brake levers?
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Status Update: Rebuilt master cylinder and cleaned---lots of gunk in bottom of reservoir. Was a little hard to bleed but eventually got it. Does not bleed with same feel as a brake system--kind of resistance but not solid. The only question remaining is where the original fluid disappeared? Sight glass was too dirty to see so now we will have to use, watch and wait. One question---if the slave cylinder is leaking, does it leak into the motor oil? I've never torn down a Honda motor so have no idea of exactly how oiling system works. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
Status Update: Rebuilt master cylinder and cleaned---lots of gunk in bottom of reservoir. Was a little hard to bleed but eventually got it. Does not bleed with same feel as a brake system--kind of resistance but not solid. The only question remaining is where the original fluid disappeared? Sight glass was too dirty to see so now we will have to use, watch and wait. One question---if the slave cylinder is leaking, does it leak into the motor oil? I've never torn down a Honda motor so have no idea of exactly how oiling system works. Thanks for the help.
No it can not leak in to the oil. There is a weep hole in the cavity down there. I suspect the fluid was low when you parked the bike for winter. You might have only lost a few spoonfuls of fluid.

As the old seals get cold and contract fluid seeps by ever so slowly. Maybe a drop a day. Not all of it will get to the ground. Some might find a little cavity to settle in etc. What does make it to the ground will pull moisture out of the air as brake fluid is hygroscopic.

The tiny amount of fluid on the floor mixed with water evaporates in time and is gone. This is a fairly common occurrence and that is why I suggested filling it and running it.

Now that the warm weather is here and the seals are more resilient you should have no issues.
Next year if you want open the reservoir and top it off and go. You can also just drive it if the clutch works normal as with the warm weather the fluid will expand and be fine all summer. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts