Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Goldwing has a valve knocking on the left side.

Sometimes it’s loud, sometimes it’s soft, and sometimes it goes away but it always comes back.

I tried a thicker oil and tried Seafoam. But the knock continues. Does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Did you listen to the area around the alternator? There are some rubber drive bushings that have a reputation. They are located on the left rear of the engine.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,661 Posts
But the speed of the knocking goes up if I rev the engine
yes, it will, because that is an Alternator Drive Bushing you are listening to.

the rubber blocks are a bit hard normally, with over 30 years, they turn into Solid Bricks and Knock Like Hell.

Order up some Alternator Drive Bushings, then remove the Alternator...

while it is out, open the end case, and blow out, or brush out the Carbon Dust on the armature brushes.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,661 Posts
here is what you need:

Honda 13534-MN5-020 - RUBBER, ALTERNATOR DAMPER | Partzilla.com

Please note: there are 4 of those Dampers required.

found on this page, part #2

you can have your Local Honda dealer order it for you, even if all he sells is scooters or skateboards.

As you are going to have to order the Dampener,
you might as well order up a set of Brushes and do all of it at once.

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
491 Posts
Carlos huertas, when you say you tried Seafoam, ,did you use 1-2 oz. per quart of oil, , , and did you drive it for about 300 miles with the seafoam in? Was the oil a clean "Golden-Amber" color when it was changed?? Some folks have to go more than one oil change before the knock disappears (dont ask how I know this):).

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I have read all the replies but I seriously doubt it is the alternator rubber blocks. But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time...!

Let me tell you a "real story".

My friend Bill thought he had a valve issue with his 2000 Gold Wing Aspencade. He was hearing a knocking sound from the left side of the engine.

Then one day when cleaning the bike and looking things over etc., he happened to notice the left exhaust header bolts were loose.

He tightened the bolts and it fixed the "valve issue" he suspected......!!!!!!

You might want to do some checking for any loose fasteners......Just saying...!!!!

PS: I have seem many many GL1500's with high mileage (including mine) and original alternator blocks. Never heard any of them cause a loud knocking sound....!!

Just my experience after wrenching on GL1500's for over 25 years.!!!

However, Some others may be more experienced than I am on these bikes.....!!.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Carlos, Don't just order parts until you have checked out a few other possibilities. Folks are recommending you order and change the alternator rubber dampeners. They don't know the history of your bike or if possibly the rubber dampers have already been changed (or not). Unbelievable............!!!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The rubber dampers in mine would sound like they were in the front,the other side,strange but after replacing them all the noise went away

1 - 12 of 12 Posts