Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 1500 goldwing Aspencade, I am looking for the location on the scooter of the reverse drive relay, not the reverse controller. I have my bike stripped drown to the frame. I have an electrical manual, but I am unable to locate that one little relay that is about the size of the first joint of your thumb.

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
There are several relays for reverse, none of them are called a reverse drive relay. Any other clues as to which one you are looking for?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I am looking for one small relay, measures about 3/4 x 1/2 x 1, that is in the circuit, I am not sure the name of that particluar relay, but is in the reverse drive circuit. There is no other relay like it in the circuit, but Honda used 125 of this type of relays on the bike, needle in the hay stack. I do not know how else to explain my search, just trying to find the location of that little relay's location on the bike.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
Under the saddle, just below the metal bar that divides the saddle/tank are from the console. Right side as you sit on the bike.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
:? there is a "Reverse Switch Relay" that's on the right side of the frame crossbar that the Reverse Speed Limiter Fuse is on (65A dogbone fuse) under the seat... closer to the front of the inner rear fender than the console... (this relay actually engages for forward 'start' operation and disengages for reverse by interpreting the neutral gear position and/or the reverse switch on the engine case...)--- so it's got an odd name, since it really inhibits Starter Relay A, when you're in reverse or NOT in neutral (it's the switched ground path for Starter Relay A, and uses the diode block for logic)

Could that be what you're fishing for?

Other relays in the '99 reverse system are:
* The circuit voltage source controls (Ign/Cruise & Tail/Main), located in the relay box.

* Power Control Relay #1 and #2 (to manage speed; controlled by the Reverse Control Unit) These are to the rear of the battery, I always get em confused since they both have white connectors. I've always imagined that #1 is closest to the batery and #2 is the next one aft of that... but I've never validated my belief.

* Speed Limiter Relay (also controlled by the rever control unit) this one is crammed even further rearward from the battery; further aft than the two Power Control Relays - typically need to get the front of the right saddle bag away from the frame a bit to access this one.

* and Ultimately Starter Relay B (which actually connects whatever meteed current is available to the starter) on the bottom frame rail in forward of the battery (under the oil-check engine cover)

That should be the 6 or so relays that could be called "Reverse" relays... You could prolly eliminate Strter Relay "B", since it is a different style than the others, but you still have a few to choose from. The "most unique" would be the Revese Switch Relay (under the seat - next to the 65A dogbone) but that relay part number is used elsewhere on the bike

:wtf: Is there any chance that you could reply to let folks understand your question a little bit better ? DO you have a failure or a modification in mind or ??:?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.