Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?So I changed my front tire today, and noticed something odd. The small lower allen bolt, which is at the bottom of the caliper, has to be removed to get the caliper out of the way. One side/caliper is all you have to remove, for a tire swap. There was a nylon bushing in the bolt hole, and this one was badly worn. Then I inspected the brake pads on that side, and the pads are worn at a rather noticeable angle. Upon looking up the caliper exploded views online, the parts finder shows no bushing. A Honda CD I have shows needle bearings instead of any nylon bushing. The bushing I have in there is affecting the way the brake pads wear, so I really need to figure this out. I took a look at the other side/caliper, and same little bushing. No wear seen, and the pads were wearing squarely. Anyone know what I'm talking about?? By the way, I can see why dealers charge so much to mount and balance tires today. Cause no one wants to do it themselves, so they can charge what ever they want! Not impossible, but if you have arthritis, eat your Motrin before you start! LOL Also found out my rim by itself, is pretty well balanced. After mounting the tire, I payed attention to the location of the red doton the tire in relation to the valve stem, and low and behold, the assembly is almost perfectly balanced! I'm still gonna put the balancing beads in,though. Thanks, jimsjinx

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

"There was a nylon bushing in the bolt hole, and this one was badly worn. "
> Are you sure?... I seem to recall that the bushing is Undersize to the hole, presumably so that it can "float" as the caliper moves.

"Upon looking up the caliper exploded views online, the parts finder shows no bushing."
> I think it's Item#18 (see image)

"A Honda CD I have shows needle bearings instead of any nylon bushing"
> Yes, that's Item #43

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
imported post

My 1500 is a 93 and both sides have needle bearings.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey Alex, what sites microfisch did you find that view? I think it may indeed be #18, but I still not sure. As far as wear, the bushing is pretty sloppy in the hole, compared to the right side, It was very gritty when I cleaned itup. The caliper pins were replaced a couple thousand miles ago, as well as the pads. The outside pad was worn thinner at the bottom , and the inside pad was much thicker throughout. Thanks for taking the time, jimsjinx

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Hey Alex, what sites microfisch did you find that view? I think it may indeed be #18, but I still not sure. As far as wear, the bushing is pretty sloppy in the hole, compared to the right side, It was very gritty when I cleaned itup. The caliper pins were replaced a couple thousand miles ago, as well as the pads. The outside pad was worn thinner at the bottom , and the inside pad was much thicker throughout. Thanks for taking the time, jimsjinx
"what sites microfisch did you find that view?"
> Hondadirect, 2000yr GL1500SE, "Forks"
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=150392&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2000&fveh=3496

"The caliper pins were replaced a couple thousand miles ago, as well as the pads. The outside pad was worn thinner at the bottom , and the inside pad was much thicker throughout."
> Could be dirty pistons and/or the 2 slide Bushings... eg Should disassemble the two halves of each caliper, clean and lube the bushings; clean the outside of both pistons (removing them if need be) then re-assemble. At that point the caliper should move side-to-side, as required to "float" or match whatever location the disk rotor is at. Also verifiy that you've set the "Gap" between the caliper and rotor (eg That the caliper is not sitting too far to one side).

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The manual requires .028" of clearance "between the caliper bracket and forks". I don't understand where they are measuring. The photo is kinda vague. I sure appreciate this help. I do know something is not right with that left side brake. I had a wierd buzz when I applied my footbrake, a couple of times in the past. Inspection showed nothing that reached out and slapped me. There is a ridge on the inside and outside edge of the rotor. It's still within service limits, but maybe the ridges have something to do with it.? jimsjinx

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
The manual requires .028" of clearance "between the caliper bracket and forks". I don't understand where they are measuring. The photo is kinda vague. I sure appreciate this help. I do know something is not right with that left side brake. I had a wierd buzz when I applied my footbrake, a couple of times in the past. Inspection showed nothing that reached out and slapped me. There is a ridge on the inside and outside edge of the rotor. It's still within service limits, but maybe the ridges have something to do with it.? jimsjinx
> The Gap they are referring to is between the Brake Caliper and the Rotor... You set the Gap by moving the Fork Tube (which carries the caliper with it).

Steps:
1) Loosen 2ea Pinch Bolts on bottom of lower left fork;
2) Use feeler gage (.028" min) to equalize the gap between the Caliper and the Rotor, on both sides of the rotor... Use large flat blade screwdriver to gently move the fork widthwise on the axle, prying between the fork and the speedo housing... it will be a very small movement.
3) Tighten pinch bolts.
4) Check Gap again to verify still ok

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.