Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have noticed just recently that when I am at a idle, my 1500 surges just a little. It will go from around 850rpm to around 1000rpm. It doesn't make any difference if the bike is cold or warm and it doesn't get any worse either way. Sometimes I don't notice it at all, but in the last couple of weeks, I have started noticing it more. I just ran some Seafoam through the bike the last tankful of fuel and I always run mid-grade fuel, 89 octane or better. I haven't done any investigating yet, as I wanted to see if anybody had a idea before I went to digging.

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi cobra turn theidle ajuster in the fuel door up and down a few times to see will it resolve the prob many guy here have had this prob do this first before you go after any thing else

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the quick reply. I think now that you mentioned it, that I have read this before. I ran a search but didn't come up with anything on the topic. I will miss with the idle adjustment knob tomorrow and see if it cures the problem. Thanks again. Also, added a little mana for you as well.

Cobra

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

Make sure your choke lever is pulled completely back up.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The choke lever is the first thing that I checked, but thanks for the advice. I even made sure that the choke lever wasen't sticking or hanging up.

Cobra

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Did you check the cable end at the carburetor? Sometimes it can hang up and not close the enrichment jet all the way. Be sure to tweak the idle speed adjustment as the guys have already mentioned, also a little lubrication the carb end of the screw can often help. Lube it and run the adjustment knob in and out a few times. I don't think any of us know why this often helps with a surging idle but it can. If it's not that a check of carb sync might improve things. I checked my 1500's sync a year or so ago, it was good but I played with it a bit and managed to get a pretty unstable idle with the sync off a bit. Once the sync was correct that went away and the idle was it's usual steady 750rpm halfwaybetween the 500 and 1000rpm marks on the tach.

BTW you're wasting money on the midgrade fuel, your 'Wing should be happy on 85 octane. Our regular on the West coast is all 87 octane but during my trip to Georgia I noticed 85 octane at several stations on the Eastern side of the country. The 85 showed no pinging problems and my bike ran fine on it.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I drained the muck outa the breather tubes, and that stopped the surging.Don't know why this works, but it did. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Paul. Running regular would save me some cash, for sure. I will check the cable end at the carburetor and make sure that it is not hanging up. The way this came on, I am almost sure that running the idle adjustment back and forth will probably solve my problem, but it never hurts to double check things.

Cobra:15grey:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.