Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings:

I added the Big Bike Parts/Show Chrome running lights to my '99 Aspen 3months ago. Both bulbs have now burned out. At $5.95 EACH they are not worth replacing (that's $48 per year for bulbs). Someone suggested soldering a wire across the nubin's so that I can then use the second filiment. That would cut my annual cost in half if I wait until the first element burns out... but I don't really want to disassemble this thing every 3 months. Has anyone cut the wiring harness at the light and replaced it with a more common bulb/bulb holder? If so, what bulb did you choose? I think the current lights are 18 watt each. I only want the lights to increase the visibility of ME, I don't really need more light on the road.

Thanks
Mike C

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Are these the bulbs that the base is angled on to point the bulb down the road.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No, the base and bulb are straight. The base itself is probably only 1/2 inch indiameter, but it has a flat skirt soldered to it mid way up from the tip of the base toward the glass. The skirt then is about 1 inch in diameter and acts as a stop when you drop the light bulb down into the back of the reflector. More or less, they just point straight ahead.

I checked out a link about switching to an 1156 bulb and will likely do so.. except it requires you to remove the front lens because the 1156 bulb is too big to drop through the 1 inch hole in back. It's a great concept but just a little too large. I will find an auto bulb that will drop through the one inch hole and then get a wire harness to match. I don't want to change these even once a year, but at 4x a year I am bound to break the plastic tabs of the front cowling getting in that often.

Mike

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks

That's the one. I'm just going to try to find a bulb that doesn't require removal of the front lens to replace the bulb.

Mike C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.