Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the shock with air is rebuildable.
I would like to replace the left one and see if this makes the bike ride like it should.

Air part works fine and does not leak. Could I buy ONE Progressive or a pair and install the left one?

I only could find one air shock replacement that was not OE. It was in the $1200 range. I don't need that, but would like to get rid of some of the bounce or sea saw when cornering.

David

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I see the shock with air is rebuildable.
I would like to replace the left one and see if this makes the bike ride like it should.

Air part works fine and does not leak. Could I buy ONE Progressive or a pair and install the left one?

I only could find one air shock replacement that was not OE. It was in the $1200 range. I don't need that, but would like to get rid of some of the bounce or sea saw when cornering.

David
The right side is not really a shock. It is more of an air bag. There is a little bit of oil in it but that is for lubrication only. GL1500 just don't do well on chuck holes and railroad tracks. I have progressive front and rear. Better but not great.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that helps. Probably going to order a pair and install one. $269.00 for two. I will be putting gold valves in the front.
David

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
If the bike is losing it when leaned over a little, I might look at stuff other than the rear shocks. Granted, the Progressives will probably help the handling, but worn swing arm or head bearings, loose wheel mounts and, or, worn bits in the forks may also cause problems

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered Race Tech gold valves and springs for the front end. will be doing the steering head bearings too. I guess we are going to keep i t.
Total in the bike for good suspension and brakes less than $700, Fine with me.

Leaving for PA tomorrow morning, rain or shine. Pecking up a NUT and coming back sunday.

I don't know if this is OK, or not, but this is where we are going.

Usa Tor

David and Laurie.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
nice, a bit too far from me to meet up with you today :rolleyes:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success. I replaced the left shock and went for a ride. The first corner I knew it was better. I took the wife for almost 100 miles. It was good, but still a little bouncy. It inspired me in corners instead of filling me with fear. Rail road tracks were smooth. Just a bit of a second rise after larger bumps.

I put the second one on. Measured the sag, .5 with just me and 1.75 with both of us and some gear. Its all good. I will miss the adjustment of the air ride. Going for another test run tonight after dinner with both of us on it.

I measured the sag quite a few times. The first time I did it before removing anything, I gave the wife the tape measure. showed her where I wanted to check it. I filled the air shock until it was topped out. I leveled the bike without my weight on it to get a reference.

She put the tape measure up to my line and said "Its between 42 and 43". I can't do this my self , so next time I got a wood stick and gave her a Sharpie. Just draw a line. It worked out great. I even had her get on and make another line.

Forks and steering head are next.

Thanks for the help
David

·
Registered
108 Posts
It’s kinda sad that they (progressive) don’t make the air shocks kit anymore. That put air on both shocks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s kinda sad that they (progressive) don’t make the air shocks kit anymore. That put air on both shocks.
I looked a few times. Progressive 416 style. Not available for GL1500.
13.5" seems to be an odd size shock. The ones I put on were chrome. No one will ever see them except me.

Just took it for a ride solo. Too stiff. Its topping out. Taking the wife after dinner. Its not a compromise. It may be perfect for the two of us. I plan on riding it to work when it is cooler in the fall. I need to drop it down one notch for solo.

The bike was purchased for her. Better ride for us compared to the 495 lb BMW R1200R. We rode almost 400 miles on Sunday. No sore butt. On the BMW we would both have been sore. I started out looking for a Russel Day Long seat for the BMW. It would have been $750.00 for guaranteed comfort for both rider and Passenger. Instead I bought a seat and motorcycle attached. So far its worth it.

More decisions when the front is done.

This is fun!
David

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought a set of progressive air shocks for my gl 1200 LTD and keep the Honda air shocks. I sold that bike and bought a 1993 GL 1500, the shocks were worn out and one was broken. I measured the 1200 shocks and they were the same length maybe a 1/2 " longer. I took those shocks apart and cleaned them out and put new fluid. I used ATF that I had. I installed a new set of Boots on them and put them on the 1500. I had the air lines from my 1200 had to go to the wrecking yard and get the little manifold to split the air lines. I have been running them for two years now. I run 65 lbs when 2 up and a little less if solo. Once in a while we will bottom out on a big dip that sneek's up on me. I was not impressed with the 416 progressive shock's and the Honda shocks seem to be better built. You can buy a set from a 1200 for $100 and clean them out yourself put boots on them for $100 and your ready to go. MHO.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Took the wife out. Its a little stiff. She did the measuring. It can't be right. It barley goes down when she gets on. I think its topping out with both of us on it. ON THE OTHER HAND, I can lay it right down in turns. We did some 30 mph turns into store driveways and around corners. I can lean it right over with out feeling like the rear tire is soft. It turns like I expect. The shocks are on the top notch. Instructions say I can go down 1 or 2 notches. Something about driver over 180 lbs. I am 199.9 :)

Nothing wrong with the shocks, I just don't have them adjusted yet.

David

·
Registered
744 Posts
When shopping for a new seat, getting the one with a new bike attached to it is always a great idea. It's a great feature to look for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts