Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year we bought new helmets(GMAX 67S) for the trike. For christmas, I bought the Brake light kit for my wife's helmet.(jw 168 from GMax) Kinda neat little extra, never enough brake lights. Simple little drawing to attach the transmitter to the brake light circuit. Rather than remove the seat, I'll attach the transmitter to the brake ligh circuit in the trunk. Carefully unpluged the wires and attached the transmitter and put everything back in place. this transmitter has an indicator that lights when the brakes are applied, neat! Now to the problem. When I turn on the Ignition the light comes on. After further checking the positive is on all the time but the brake lights are not on. the transmitter does not work. after more checking I find the voltage with ignition on is only about 6 volts but when brake are applied the voltage goes to 12v. After more checking I put a test light to the wires and the light is dim till brakes are applied then goes bright. When I hook the transmitter to the battery it works fine. So I hooked the transmitter back to the wires in the trunk with the test lite attached and with the load of the test lite in the circuit everything works. It seems that I need a small resistor in the circuit to make things work. Does anyone know more about this??

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Brake Light

There is a control module under the trunk, with 3 wires going to it, that control the voltage going to the spoiler light.

You need to try and find the wire going to the brake light in the trunk back panel, or go under the trunk for the 12V brake light connection.

This is what I did when I added a Back Off XP to my spoiler light. Spoiler light flashes when the brakes are applied.

When the Taillight Input is 12V, you get 6V out to the spoiler light. When the brake light also goes to 12V, you get 12V out.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So in other words, I attached the transmitter in the wrong place. Easy is not always right. I knew there was an answer but I didn't know where to look. Thanks. The forum comes thru again!!

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Keep in mind the wires going to the spoiler (if you have one) LEDs on that model year only carry about 5v.
THAT caused me some hair pulling when I tried hooking up my brake flasher module to the spoiler...the instructions failed to mention the late 1500s only feed 5v to the spoiler...the module requires 12v.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Keep in mind the wires going to the spoiler (if you have one) LEDs on that model year only carry about 5v.
THAT caused me some hair pulling when I tried hooking up my brake flasher module to the spoiler...the instructions failed to mention the late 1500s only feed 5v to the spoiler...the module requires 12v.
See my post above about the 6V / 12V spoiler light operation. Pretty much explains it all.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
See my post above about the 6V / 12V spoiler light operation. Pretty much explains it all.
No it doesn't.

It fails to explain why I didn't read your post more carefully before chiming in. :):ROFL:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.