Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple of months my '99 GL1500SE (CA ver.) with 145K total miles, has begun to make a low bird-like 'chirping' sound at idle. This starts after the engine warms up to operating temp. The 'chirping' sound is about 2-3 per second and seems to stop above idle; however it's hard to tell with the increased engine noise. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the engine vacuum circuits.

I moved from San Jose, CA to Scottsdale, AZ five months ago. The Goldwing made the 750 mile trip back in December comfortably tied down in the back of a U-Haul truck. My Camry sedan was on a tow dolly attached to the U-Haul.

This bike has always run very well in hot (90+) weather, getting the best mileage (38-45 mpg) when it's hot. With daytime temps in Scottsdale now around 100 degrees everyday, my Goldwing warms up quickly and runs very well, except for the annoying 'chirping' sounds at idle.

I would appreciate any suggestions you fellow Goldwing owners might have as to what may be going on with my 'chirping' 'Wing

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Alternator dampers do make a sound when they get hard but it’s usually kind of a knock but it’s on the left by your calf if you want to listen closer.
Like Dennis said ,belts might do that or idler pulley?

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Have you had the air filter replaced lately? Done any carburetor work? My old `98 Gold Wing made a funny noise if the plenum chamber that the air filter sits in was not put back together right.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys for your replies.
I've replaced timing belts and tensioner pulley bearings at 100K. Haven't done anything to the carbs. Air filter is a K&N that I've cleaned & re-oiled several times; last time long before this 'chirping' noise started recently. Alternator and rubber dampers were replaced at 55K.
The sound I'm hearing seems more like what I think a vacuum solenoid chattering might produce. I'll keep listening and watching for your additional suggestions.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,375 Posts
Here is the link explaining what I have found on my bike.
Also, I added a picture drawing of the pulley bent causing the noise.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Cam belts are supposed to be locked down just using spring pressure on the idler pulley. Sometimes people can`t resist the urge to give them a extra tug by hand before tightening lock down bolts, making cam belts too tight? Could make a singing sound. Dry speedometer cable. Does speedometer needle bounce at low speeds? Check wheel bearings.
gumbyred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts