Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this massive crack in the fairing on my 99 Goldwing Asp. I've owned it just over a year. I was riding her over 100 miles/day to commute to/from work but I've moved and now that commute is down to less than 5 miles. The bike has never fallen over or been in an accident, so I don't know how/where this crack developed.

Is this something I should worry about? Is this something I can even attempt to repair? If so, how?

God bless,

~Mark

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Best to just stop drill the crack with a tiny drill,fixing is difficul.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
686 Posts
Holy crack. That didn't just happen, did someone back into you in a parking lot?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
An invisible repair will require paint work, but you can do a pretty good job by just gluing it from the back side with the ABS slurry. Search this site for faring repairs for all the juicy details.
Maybe someone hit your wind wings?

·
Premium Member
12,826 Posts
I have used the mentioned "slurry" glue method . I would clean the back side several inches around the crack. Scuff it up good with a course sandpaper , apply the slurry lay a piece of plastic window screen in the slurry and and work it down into the scuff marks well . may need another coat of slurry over the screen.
Others may have more solutions to share.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
657 Posts
I would try to reinforce it from the back. A piece of abs plastic and some abs cement would really help. As said, drill a small hole at the very end of the crack. Is that chrome piece an add on? May have started at the mounting hole for the chrome tube.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The best way to do this repair is to "V" the crack on the front and back and remove the paint to the ABS substrate out about a 1/2 inch on each side. Remove the panel and make sure there are no more cracks and the securing tab is in good repair. Use ABS cement to seal /weld the area. Once this is done, sand smooth, use a finish filler if there is a dip in the repair to bring the surface flush. Painting will be required. I had a similar issue on my '95 1500 - white glacier pearl finish - on the left panel: Had to do a repair last spring of the left side panel including a new securing tab. Found that the front fairing bracket was damaged as well, so an ABS fix of it was required: Left side panel tab and corner braoken - 2.jpg Left side fairing bracket.JPG Finished the repair: Left side panel paint area.jpg painted the panel: Left side panel corner painted.jpg installed and noticed that the new panel colour was vibrant and looked very good: This panel made the rest of the paint look dated. Embarked on a complete repaint of the 1500: White in the cue.jpg and found lots of crack repairs to do. Bike does go back together nicely, did the accent trim, a blue colour, as well: Right side 1.jpg Having mentioned the above, my painting was a three part system, base colour, pearl, then clearcoat. Yours should only be a two part system. Do a good repair, and paint prep - don't skimp on the repair or prep, and you should be able to use a two part spray can system that should be an exact match. I went to the expense of buying paint spray guns to do my paint job. Used inexpensive spray guns from our Princess Auto - HF equivalent - $25.00 taxes in CDN - had always wanted to use paint spray guns. These do a good job with time and patience. BTDT, got the t-shirt.

Good Luck with the repair.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The chrome piece in the top pic is for the air wing support. It is not fastened to the exterior of the panel. It is secured with the same bolts that hold the panel on. If the curved part is touching the side panel, recommend removing the air wing, filing the end of the chrome tube so that it does not come into contact with the side panel.

Reactions: briese

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Seems like all the pics of fairings cracked in that place all have wind wings installed? Coincidence or causality?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Seems like all the pics of fairings cracked in that place all have wind wings installed? Coincidence or causality?
I have to mention that this type of damage on the side panel can be because of how the panels were installed, possibly the air wing brackets, a lot of things. I can also mention that if one were to take the 1500 apart as I did, you'd be surprised at how many cracks there are in the plastics.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's impossible for me to do major repairs or take apart my bike at my new apartment, so I can't do any repairs that involve getting to the 'back' of the fairing.

What are the best suggestions for how to resolve it just from the front?

Should I just drill a small hole to keep the crack from expanding? Are there any repairs that can be done from this side that don't damage it any further?

God bless,

~Mark

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,130 Posts
I would just Stop Drill it, and maybe find some putty to put in the crack and paint over it, or just ignore it.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
657 Posts
How about getting a small nail, 4-6p, red hot to make the stop hole. Melting the hole may be better than drilling it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Stop drill it and leave it and keep an eye out for a replacement on ebay.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts