Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, this bike is kinda new to me, well i've had it for 3 years but only used it around town until 6 months ago since i got her new tires and front fork tubes.

I've installed a new fuel filter and air filter and ran a can of seafoam.

When going past 85mph it wont keep that speed for longer than a minute or two and it will start stuttering and slowing down, i've already tried opening the gas cap but it wont cure it.
below that speed it runs really nice, strong and smooth i can cruise at the max cruise control speed with no problems (around 80mph)

Any idea what can it be? Where should i start??

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
Sure sounds like lack of enough fuel. May be the vacuum petcock has a small leak and with the vacuum low at high speed it just can't stay open.

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
Sounds very typical of a failing fuel pump that only pumps enough fuel for 84 MPH. :)

this is my suggestion and exactly what I had to do to fix the same problem on my '98SE a few years back.

with my bike, it was a bit worse... it would run for about 2 miles and suddenly 25 mph was the best it could do. stop and let it idle and it would make another mile at 35ish....

I was 11 miles from home when it suddenly decided to go into fail mode like this..... and I replaced it with the NAPA/Carter fuel pump.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/388784-gl1500-fuel-pump-replacement-napa-p72190-pump-easy-fix.html#post1613038

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
My '98 suffered that too at 85mph and it was a vacuum leak to the petcock.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It couldn't be the Flux Capacitor - He never made it to 88 MPH.... :ROFL:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Try Bypassing the Fuel Petcock... If the speed problem goes away, then you've found the culprit.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ill bypass the petcock and see if it fixes the problem, where is the other end of the vacum line?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts