Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike has a oil leek in the rear drive . I am planning on replacing all of the seals but I have never done this before. Are there any special tools that I would need? I have been searching for a how to on here and YouTube but have not found one. Can anyone point me to one? Thanks Dannie

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,616 Posts
you are working on a gl1500, not the '08 Trike ?

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
641 Posts
If its a bike it would be easier to swop the complete drive casting as setting up crown wheel to pinon can be very awkward and with the number of 1500 trikes out there rhere has to be plenty of them about

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If its a bike it would be easier to swop the complete drive casting as setting up crown wheel to pinon can be very awkward and with the number of 1500 trikes out there there has to be plenty of them about
I am thanking you are correct on this. I was wondering what it would take to do this.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
If its a bike it would be easier to swop the complete drive casting as setting up crown wheel to pinon can be very awkward and with the number of 1500 trikes out there rhere has to be plenty of them about
Why not just mark both with a center punch before disassembly and realign them at the exact same location when going back together?? Worked just fine for me.

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
641 Posts
You can mark the nut and shaft, the problem is there is a spacer on the pinion shaft that "collapses" under torque of the nut and is only supposed to be used once

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
You can mark the nut and shaft, the problem is there is a spacer on the pinion shaft that "collapses" under torque of the nut and is only supposed to be used once
Perhaps we aren't talking about the same "seals". I was referencing the 3 large o-rings on the wheel side. Are you talking about the oil seal on the drive shaft
side?

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
I have done this many times on automotive differentials to replace the pinion seal. Put the nut back on to the same position then a little more to make up for wear, all good.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure which seal is leaking. I see 3 seals and 3 O rings on the parts list. I was just going to replace them all. This is on another mans bike and he says he has to add lube at times. He said it is getting oil all over the drive and wheel.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
It could be a seal at the drive shaft or even at the motor.
I would want to make sure it wasn't one of those before I tore the drive apart. Leaks in the drive itself I believe are rare.

·
1,819 Posts
I wanted to investigate where the leak is and then repair it. I do not like to replace things that do not fail anything.
but IF roller bearings m.m. is worn out, i would find a used rear final drive from a trike builder.

Be aware, these drives leak oil from the ventilation at the top if too much oil is added.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
Perhaps we aren't talking about the same "seals". I was referencing the 3 large o-rings on the wheel side. Are you talking about the oil seal on the drive shaft
side?
Ignore the above. My memory banks are going broke.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
641 Posts
From working on one that did it i can say that worn wheel bearings WILL overload the crown wheel bearings ruining those and turning the alloy cas a beautiful gold colour with the heat generated

1 - 15 of 15 Posts