Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I picked up a low mileage SE which is great. Only issue I have found is a problem with the CB when I try to transmit other bikes hear only a high pitched howl and static when I push the transmit button. The radio receives crystal clear. I have checked the CB's ground wire and it seems OK. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
Pete

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I had the exact same thing this spring. Sent it to Sierra Electronics, and for $100.00 they refurbished and calibrated everything. All in 6-7 days! They told me that screaming sound is common on the 99 SE. The output transistors are goin out. My CB works perfectly now. The guy said the radio was only putting out about 1 watt. It is at the near max now. :action:jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Peter1971 wrote:
I picked up a low mileage SE which is great. Only issue I have found is a problem with the CB when I try to transmit other bikes hear only a high pitched howl and static when I push the transmit button. The radio receives crystal clear. I have checked the CB's ground wire and it seems OK. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
Pete
Did you check the CB antenna ground ????

Do you have arm rests on your bike ?????

I had the same exact problem on my '99 Gold Wing.

I could receive great........but when I keyed the mic, others would here a high pitch (annoying) sound.

The problem was the mounting bolts for the CB antenna had backed out and the antenna did not have a ground.

Tightened the mounting bolts and that corrected the problem.

****** Don't send you CB to Sierra Electronics until you make sure the CB antenna has a good ground *********

It is not uncommon for the CB antenna bolts to come loose if you have the swing out arm rests and use them frequently.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for both of your suggestions. I will check the antenna ground momentarily and let you know the results

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Well nothing is ever easy. The CB mount seem to have a little bit of play. I could reach the top bolt with an open end wrench but will have to remove the pocket to get at the bottom bolt. Its getting to late to undertake that project tonight. I rode about 225 miles this afternoon so rather than make a mistake (plastic parts break easy) I will tackle in the AM: Oh, by the way no arm rests. My '88 which is up for has an OEM CB that has worked from day one I wish it was in the '99.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I have been chasing this problem on and off for a week. The mounting bolts are tight. I have cleaned the transmit button with contact cleaner, I have checked and cleaned all contacts in the attenna lead and tomorrow I am going to run a separate ground line from trunk plate to the frame to see if it makes a difference. The local Honda shop said to replace the transmit switch for a mere $565 - $625 (parts and labor). Have you got any other ideas? Is there a way to hook a meter to test output? I have an old SWR meter but its connections are for a regular CB.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

TRY THIS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE !!!!!
Open cassette door and "drown"-I MEAN DROWN- everything in there with contact cleaner then let sit overnight and blow out with air

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

More CB problems on the 1500's are caused by the am/fm radio than by the cb radio itself

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

WARNING!!! Do Not use contact cleaner that is not "Plastic Safe"!! Also, the cb problems I had were IDENTICAL in every way as your description, and Sierra told me this is a very common problem with the 1500SE. I also did the antenna ground check, and run a seperate ground for the base of the antenna(as suggested by Sierra). If that don't solve it, then the intermittant ground has toasted your output transistors in the transmitter. That's what the screaming noise is. I know it sucks to have to send it in, but I think that's where you are now. Don't replace the switch cluster just yet!!! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I know that was your original recommendation and I have been holding off until I put the bike up for the winter. I did speak with Sierra but in interim I have tried to elimiminate the easy things.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Peter1971 wrote:
I have been chasing this problem on and off for a week. The mounting bolts are tight. I have cleaned the transmit button with contact cleaner, I have checked and cleaned all contacts in the attenna lead and tomorrow I am going to run a separate ground line from trunk plate to the frame to see if it makes a difference. The local Honda shop said to replace the transmit switch for a mere $565 - $625 (parts and labor). Have you got any other ideas? Is there a way to hook a meter to test output? I have an old SWR meter but its connections are for a regular CB.
Check this out:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok4/wingman26/cables.html

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

It's easy to run a dedicated ground from the antenna's grounding mount to the frame. It just has to be either 10 guage or larger, or braided like a car's engine ground strap. I did mine before I sent it in for repairs.The guy at Sierra said it is a good preventative measure, especially with armrests. I know how aggrivating it is to have all your friends getting a scream/squeal everytime you use your cb. Didn't mean to harp on it, it's just that what you described was identical to mine. Good fixin"! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I had a thought you mentioned an intermittent ground roasting the radio. Could the same thing happen by attenna not being securely fastened to the base? When I bought the bike I noticed that the drift pin was missing from the attenna mount and in its place was a bent nail which allowed some play.

Thanks again

eter

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

That would certainately be a problem.

Have you been able to hook-up the meter yet?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Haven't gotten to Radio Shack yet to pick up the extra parts. Hope to get them tomorrow and get back on the project.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

My aftermarket armrests affected the quality of grond to the frame. As the armrests lossened up a bit,(wife getting on and off, bumps,etc.),the ground wire was intermittant.That poor ground, over time,toasted my output transistors on the cb.I was told, it probly didn't make a good ground during a transmission or two, and that is what REALLY screws with the output circut. I notice now,I can get out farther than before, and my riding friends don't ask me to turn of my cb anymore!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

A late but final post script on the CB. Just before the snow flew I pulled the radio and sent it to Sierra. They tested it and said it appeared to be fine which now left me with the other two possibilities -- antenna or transmit switch.

Now that the snow is almost gone I was able to take the Wing of the shed where it spent the winter and tackle the radio. I turns out that the antenna lead was bad somewhere between the CB and where the antenna plugs in under the seat. I replaced the antenna with a new one because it had excess playwhere the nail had been inserted to hold it together by a previous owner, ran a new lead (the original line is buried and wrapped in one of the main wiring harnesses so I just left it) from the antenna to the radio. I hedged my bets and added a second ground even thought I replaced the ground plane in the trunk. Using the adapters from radio shack, suggested by a knowlegable member in an earlier post, I tuned the antenna and it now works like a charm. Thanks to all of you who suggested various fixes.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Glad you are backon the air! I'm glad that your radio was ok. Happy riding this spring! jimsjinx

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Glad you got it fixed,,,,,,, and thanks for taking the time to report it. I had the same troubles , so I did the "ground strap" route and it's been doing fine for me.

BTW,,,,,,,,, my bike is a 97 Aspy,,,,,,,, so I don't know if it only pertains to certain years or models.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.