Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

One thing I've noticed about my bike, she is not likely to start if the bat voltage is even slightly below complete and full charge. If she sits for even a week or two, I'd better have a tender on it or a boost from a jump box, or it will grind and grind and never go. However, if it gets cranked and ridden every couple of days, no problem. The moral of the story: she needs frequent exercise...

I notice you live PA; I think she's just not happy about being shut up in the garage several months at a time. Remember, these mistresses have feelings too and we neglect them at our peril. She will get the attention she wants one way or another and only she decides if and when you get to take a ride.:action:

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
imported post

wow sorRy about my previous post I put sould be close to 200 cca I just done basic search on web and found out they vary from 200 to 350 cca OUPS !!!!:headbanger:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

DOC1500 wrote:
JMLY, you live at the exact opposite corner of the state as me. you are just outside pitts and I'm just outside scranton.:waving: 
307 miles apart give or take a few (I cheated and looked already) a good decent ride for a Saturday...if I was retired. It never fails though, if I leave the area and go over 100 miles, someone will break down in a company truck and I will have to turn around and go to work. I am on call 24/7 in this job. Money is great but it sure plays havoc with the social life.
I would not be opposed to a coffee stop at a place somewhere mid way... maybe State College area or so sometime later in the summer after you get a battery and I get my lights put on:ssshh:

BTW I got my battery at http://www.westcobattery.com/
it was this one-http://estorebc.mkbattery.com/ProductInfo/WCP18.aspx:thumbsup: Ordered on line and came in like 2 days to my doorstep. and if it turns out that the alternator is bad, I got a spare , it is the stock one and I had it rebuilt.

·
It aint rocket science
3,906 Posts
imported post

A few things are needed to test charging- starting system. Volt meter, amp meter and load tester for the battery. Most will not have the amp meter or load tester, so we must rely on volt readings only to narrow it down some.

After charging, a battery will have a static or surface charge which must be removed for a battery voltage test. This can be done by turning the key on with the draw from the headlight for one to two minutes. Let the battery recover for a few minutes and take voltage reading, should not be below 12.5V or so. With bike running at fast idle charging voltage should be between 13.6-14.2V.

The starter should draw no more than 125A and this is where the amp meter is used while cranking. Without the amp meter you will have to rely on volt readings. While cranking, the volts should not drop below 9 or so. If the volts drop much lower than this the battery, starter and connections are then suspect and the above mentioned meters are required to properly diagnose.

JD

·
Pwhoever
3,132 Posts
imported post

mainwiz3 wrote:
I had a bad battery one time took it to autozone all the guy needed to know was the CCA to test it.
I must have gotten the guy on a bad day or he just had no idea. Not surprising. I will keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
imported post

Hey guys , just had the battery tested . I charged it before I went and they said at advanced auto it is bad ...load test showed 11.62 voltsand 41 CCA...I think it's only 2yrs old..theplace I got it should exchange it ??????

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hope they will for you bro!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

DOC1500 wrote:
I think it's only 2yrs old..the place I got it  should exchange it  ??????
I dont know...it is at the point between where WE would say" 2 years? Is that all? and THEY will probably say "Holy Crap...what do you expect? :D

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

Yuasa is a good brand, I have used them in the past, are you going to invest in the compufire too or is that a "down the road" item?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Doc
Is that the right size battery? I didn't see any specs on it there.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Doc
Is that the right size battery? I didn't see any specs on it there.
I did not order the battery Model number that ends in BS

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Doc

Its all them bright lights shinning. :action:

Did you have the battery checked this time and last year?
Have you cleaned the start switch w/elec contact cleaner? It might need a good cleaning.
Your starter might need a cleaning if you have been using reverse. I changed my starter last summer with a less milage one and it made a difference.
clean the battery cables and connections and grounds.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
imported post

HEY GANG , got the battery today fixed a few wires I had going to the bat , hooked it all up and-------------IT cranked right up like new..:thumbsup:well Igotta finish putting the dash back together then I'll test drive :action: to see about the turn signalcancel switch if that still works .. :praying2:

better half is ready to shoot me after all this:makemyday: :yelling: But I sure had fun doing it.:cheesygrin:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If Mamma ain't happy........

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
imported post

newday777 wrote:
If Mamma ain't happy........
You got that right BRO... I always use those TWO famous words >>

" YES DEAR "!!!:raspberry:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

And remember, when you think you are right, YOU'RE WRONG!
Yes Dear, I AM WRONG, Please Forgive me!

Glad to hear it's running again.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
imported post

THERE ARE ONLY 2 RULES ::readit:

RULE # 1.......THE WIFE IS ALWAYS RIGHT !!!!!

RULE # 2.......IF THE WIFE IS WRONG SEE RULE #1

THINGS ARE MUCH HAPPIER THAT WAY !!! RIGHT HONEY:kissing:

FORYOU YOUNGER GUYS.....READ IT , LEARN IT , USE IT.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I'm one of the hardheaded ones that had to learn the hard way. Had to have the hard heart blown apart. Learn youngin's.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.