Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Goldwing GL1500SE, 1984 VF1100 V65 MAGNA
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope we have some real electrical gurus in here. I am having a problem with my 99 GL1500SE. Periodically, the #8 fuse will blow. I replace the fuse and everything may be fine for a month or two, then it will do it again. While doing some other work on the bike, I decided to convert all of the lights on the bike to LEDs. All the lights work fine except, when I put in the LED relay for the turn signals (so they flash at normal speed as opposed to fast) an odd situation occurs. One of the two blinkers will stay on. The one that the switch was set to last. For example, if I hit the left blinker, the left blinker will stay on. If I hit the right blinker, the right blinker will stay on. It will not cancel either one. When I put the original relay back in, the turn signals work fine, except they blink fast. What I'm thinking is that there is a short to ground somewhere that is causing the #8 fuse to periodically blow and that makes the LED relay stay on instead of canceling. I can't find the short anywhere. The #8 fuse is for
8 Tail 15Amp Accessory lights, Instrument panel gauges, Instrument panel indicators, Meter Cornering lights, Headlight relays, License plate light, Position lights, Position Side marker lights, Taillights. I also checked all the fuses and swapped the relays, so I'm pretty sure it's not any of them. I sure hope someone here can give me an idea as to what's going on or at least somewhere to start. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
27,006 Posts
I would guess the LED flasher you have is the wrong one, the cancel system controls the ground to the flasher so an incorrect part wouldn't cancel. The short could be anywhere. If it has any lights not original equipment I would check them first.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Ozark, I am attaching a list of everything that is powered from the # 8 fuse and the # 3 Tail Main Relay.

Obviously there is a short to ground (or there is an "amperage overload" on one of the circuits powered from the # 3 Tail Main Relay.

There could be a connection somewhere that only gets shorted to ground periodically based on bike movement etc....

Have you added any additional electrical lights etc. to any of the circuits powered from the # 3 Tail Main Relay...??? Could overload the circuit...OR...have a short to ground.

Such as maybe on the rear of the bike.

Are the contacts tight where the # 3 relay plugs in....??

You can isolate the issue regarding if on the front or rear of the bike by unplugging the Blue 22-pin connector (powering the rear of the bike)..

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts