Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
The guy is right about using TCW3 oil but he's way off the mark on gasoline, in the 1970s to mid 80s we found clogged fuel filters often way before the specified 12,000 mile interval, today most gasoline engines never need a fuel filter. When fuel injection became popular they had to improve the fuel quality.
He must work for or have stock in Pennzoil.

all of today's fuel injector vehicles have a fuel filter, certain models have two.

how was he off the mark about gasoline? if u read his posts and testing they just happen to be using pennzoil. any TC-W3 meeting the spec are the same, except for price.

·
Son of Bronson
121 Posts
My '99 1500 gets a steady 42 mpg.
On long highway runs at 65 or 70 mph, it seems to get
just a bit more.
And one of you said that your bike stinks when idling.
So does mine. It always smells rich at idle, but it
runs great and gets good gas mileage.

Another thing...
It would be interesting to know if the guys getting poor
mileage have a large windshield on the bike.
I have my stock windshield cut down fairly short since I am short and wanted to look over the shield.
Aerodynamics can play an big role in fuel mileage at anything over 40 mph or so. A tall windshield has to push a lot more air out of the way.

·
Administrator
25,598 Posts
all of today's fuel injector vehicles have a fuel filter, certain models have two.

how was he off the mark about gasoline? if u read his posts and testing they just happen to be using pennzoil. any TC-W3 meeting the spec are the same, except for price.
Filters that never need to be changed & usually only one built into the fuel pump unit. I was a mechanic most of my working life, I know what was and is now. Gasoline is vastly cleaner than it was 30 years ago.

·
Administrator
59,030 Posts
My '99 1500 gets a steady 42 mpg.
On long highway runs at 65 or 70 mph, it seems to get
just a bit more.

Another thing...
It would be interesting to know if the guys getting poor
mileage have a large windshield on the bike.
I have my stock windshield cut down fairly short since I am short and wanted to look over the shield.
Aerodynamics can play an big role in fuel mileage at anything over 40 mph or so. A tall windshield has to push a lot more air out of the way.

I have already mentioned that my two 1500s had the Tulsa Tall windshields, both about 4 inches above my helmet. 33 mpg is the best they ever got at 70mph, at 35-40mph on an all day jaunt looking at fall colors, I once made 39.5 mpg.

My 1800 now has a Madstad that I can drop down to maybe 8 inches above the dashboard. helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I don’t completely agree on the fairing and windscreen causing lower fuel economy, because the wind is either hitting those, or hitting you. Either way there’s going to be wind drag, and the fairing and shield are much more aerodynamic than you are. I suspect that you have carb mixture issues since turning the idle adjustment screw has no affect on it. If all else fails, then try a K&N air filter. That should lean it out some.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I have an 89 GL1500 that I changed the trigger wheel too +6 degree(only see 4 degree now) and plugs to iridium one range hot running prem fuel, get a round 50 MPG hwy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an 89 GL1500 that I changed the trigger wheel too +6 degree(only see 4 degree now) and plugs to iridium one range hot running prem fuel, get a round 50 MPG hwy.

did your engine ping with regular? original article installing a 6 TW in a GL1500 stated they used regular with zero pinging.
since the GL1500 has zero initial advance at idle putting it at 6 degrees isn't really an issue. The valkyrie has 3 degrees initial, riders using the 4 degree still use regular. FactoryPro.com recommends no more than the 4 degree for the valkyrie.
Hope that helps for more mpg.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've considered trying a +4 or +6 trigger wheel in my '93. I once heard somewhere and found adding an extra degree advance / 1000 ft altitude helps. Since the majority of my driving/riding is at 5000' + the 6 degree wheel may be the ticket. Both the car and Jeep seem to like timing set +5 from factory spec here in Denver, and neither one pings at low altitude either.

If I found the bike pinging at low altitude could always bump up to the next grade of fuel...

Reactions: captdecker

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
bamaTrider;5845831[B said:
]I don’t completely agree on the fairing and windscreen causing lower fuel economy, because the wind is either hitting those, or hitting you. Either way there’s going to be wind drag, and the fairing and shield are much more aerodynamic than you are.[/B] I suspect that you have carb mixture issues since turning the idle adjustment screw has no affect on it. If all else fails, then try a K&N air filter. That should lean it out some.

The Fairing on the 1500 is huge. I couldn't believe the difference when I went from the 1200 to the 1500. The wind has a big effect. Unless it is a moderate to heavy rain, If I'm moving I don't hardly get wet. That air bubble has to be made by something.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just got a Madstad adjustable windscreen for my 1500. I had a chance for a longer ride this weekend, and got the best mileage the bike has ever done. Real noticeable difference. The thing is the new windscreen is still in the garage, I haven't even opened the box, yet. I sure wasn't expecting that kind of performance.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Works, doesn't it? :ROFL:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts