Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

is it normal for a loud clacking sound when changing gears,.seems to be a bit noisy to me.is that the way a 1500 is?doesnt seem to grind,just noise from the ratchet i believe.thanks

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Clunking, yes. Clacking? Wife on the back? I'm bad! Forgive me. Is this a new sound or new bike to you?
I'll be out your way in Rochester NH in @ 3-4 weeks

LORD willing!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

bike is fairly new to me.dont know if its worse or i am just starting to listen more as i get used to it.sometimes it is smooth if i hit the rpms just rite.but that should only effect the gears and not the shift mechanism.people on the sidewalk can hear it when i am going thru town.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Sound will bounce off cars and buildings. And it does go smoother as you pre-load the shifter before letting off throttle and pulling the clutch in(start slight pressure on shifter lever).
Do you have floor boards w/heel toe shifter or the stock peg/shifter setup? Heel/toe shifters are noisier, clunkier. I took off the floorboard setup as shifting was slower response time as well and they made my hips ache from having a wider stance than the pegs by 3"-4". Plus much more clearance in cornering. :action:

Some say the type of oil used makes a difference. I use Delo 400 from Walmart. Tried more expensive Golden Spectro and didn't make a difference. Still have some clunkin in shiftin.
God bless
Stu

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A Goldwing will clank a bit though once you get the proper technique it's minimal and a LOT less noisy than a Harley shifting. You can avoid the lurching clunk when going into first gear on start up by starting in gear with the clutch held in. Also holding the clutch in for a few seconds before shifting into first will reduce that 'clunk'. If you make most of your shifts around 2000-2500 rpm that will help reduce the noise too. Once you get the hang of it most shifts will really sound more like a modest 'click' than a 'clank'.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

the clunky shift is the nature of the beast on a gl 1500. the chevron delo 400 oil sure helped but its still gonna be noisy. turn up your radio and ride my friend!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Sounds exactly the same on my 88 from your description. Sometimes I hit gear changes exactly right others are misses. lightly preloading the shift lever is what I do like the other poster described works very well. Keeping your oil changed helps. I noticed as it nearing time to change oil the shifter feels a bit "notchy" for lack of a better word. Since mentioning this just notice how it feels when shift into a different gear, after the change it will feel a bit smoother too.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Yep They IS noisy! Also the oil makes a huge difference in some wings. I went though several types, and by far the old Delo 400 LE is the quietest oil I've tried. When things start gettin clunky again, I know it's oil change time. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

i just tried shifting at a lower rpm and its much better.i guess i was trying to be speed racer or something.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

With the torque available from the six cylinder 'Wings one really doesn't have to shift at very high rpms. 2500rpm or slightly below will result in nice quiet shifts no need to go any higher unless you are in the process of "getting out of Dodge" rapidly in which case who cares how loud the shift is.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I stopped getting on it so much and took it easy on take offs and that made a huge difference. I didn't realize how quickly I expected to get the bike up to speed Versus a car or truck, but if you follow a car off the line, you'll be in 4th gear before 35.... Clunking for me has reduce however by following some sound advice from the folks here who have been riding a wing for a while, much appreciated advice I might add.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

+1

The bike will slip into gear much easier when at the right rpm to match the gear. This also applies to down shifting.......like getting her to slip nice into neutral. Seems to me this takes a good while to get the hang of after 5,000 miles on my new fifteen. I continue to learn more and more the slight quirks involved in my endless attempt to operate this wing silky smooth. Sometimes she just wants to clunk. But most times I can see I missed the mark ever so slightly in some way. I ride a bunch in the busy town I live in....more then I would like in that type of traffic for sure. But I have gained allot of experience from it. It seems like every gear has it's own needs.

Improvement with the Delco 400......
RED

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.