Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering the other day if this would entertaining...

Stop evey 50 miles, no matter where you are, and take a forward facing shot. Then play them back... Might be cool, might be just any old slide show...

just an idea...

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

that would be a neat thing to do. just flat ground around here though. lol

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Read a story about a biker that did just that on a long trip. His photo essay of his trip ended when he layed his camera on the trunk rack and rode off forgetting to put it away. He did not miss it till the speedo said time for another pic.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The GoPro Hero Cameras have a setting that will take a picture every 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 second intervals depending on what you select. I took a 17 minute trip and it took 366 pictures. Just couldn't find a good program to stitch them together yet. Normal slide show programs that I played with have some type of Fade in and Fade out between pics or a delay.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Why Stop? .... That 'gets Old' in a hurry! ...... just shoot from the saddle, while riding. There's a lot of places where there is no place to pull off safely, or give you the shot you were/are after!

I taught Winger how to do it this past summer.

With digital cameras and all their great features nowadays (IS), you get a lot of great shots. Ya, there are some not so great ones, but that's the great thing about digital cameras .... it doesn't cost you to develop those fuzzy shots. JMHO

Just sayin ....

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

That is an interesting idea. Per Dusty's comment, I too have become rather proficient at taking pics while still in the saddle.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

There's always the option of a "Ram" mount to keep things steady. Just sayin'.:D:D:D:action::action::action::action:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Only problem with the Ram mounts Angela, is that you are then shooting through a bug splattered windscreen! :?

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Only problem with the Ram mounts Angela, is that you are then shooting through a bug splattered windscreen! :?
Basically that is true but if you get the long piece it will take it out past the WS but I guess I should not have put quotatin marks in there as I was meaning any kind of mount. Dean over @ NAGF makes them and claims they are solid. I think if one was to look around, one could locate mounts that mount to the WS or front fender, but I would think that would be inconvienient unless you had a cable or remote trigger. There is always Helmet mounts as well. With "Ram" you can get mounts for the handlebars that will work just as well on the engine guards.:waving::waving::action::action::action:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

As Ken does I to do it on the fly. I have a lanyard hooked to the camera and sling it around my neck.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

I picked up one of the GoPro cameras the other day and have only done a little filming with it, but this will be a valuable asset for our biking travels. The interval shooting feature should be fun but have to see what the playback looks like.

No disrespect to Ken, but I’m going to fabricate a mount so I can shoot through the windshield, mainly due to the proliferation of bugs out here all through the riding season – if a bug hits the wrong part of the shield, at least I will see it and can get out the always-handy water and rag. Helmet mounted cam is unreasonable too, because the only time my helmet didn’t get smeared with the big bugs was when I had the Tulsa Tall shield on the GL1500, and I wouldn’t likely notice a bug strike on the lens until I stopped. Riding in southern Ontario is quite different bug-wise than out here on the open prairie.

I’m reluctant to use a RAM mount on the handlebars because of the road conditions out here (sort of similar to the road to Killarney Park – but often worse).

We have another camera for stills and short videos, but it’s a larger sized thing and we just haven’t developed the knack for hand-held videos. Will probably use both cameras and combine the results over the winter with voice-overs, titles, and music.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

this is not your 50 mile idea but I had a few photos that were taken while running down the road in a hour and ahalf timeframe. probably 90 to 100 miles.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/LiDbMtZkSiE&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

We went for a ride new years eve. Got home and found numerous bug strikes. After the couple of freezes we had I would have thought the bugs would be gone. But then the Boss, Gramasaurusrex, pointed out that we had blooms on the Frosythia bushes. Today they had better have their woolies on as it is cold and windy with snow flurries.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Greg and Carol wrote:
I picked up one of the GoPro cameras the other day and have only done a little filming with it, but this will be a valuable asset for our biking travels. The interval shooting feature should be fun but have to see what the playback looks like.

No disrespect to Ken, but I’m going to fabricate a mount so I can shoot through the windshield, mainly due to the proliferation of bugs out here all through the riding season – if a bug hits the wrong part of the shield, at least I will see it and can get out the always-handy water and rag. Helmet mounted cam is unreasonable too, because the only time my helmet didn’t get smeared with the big bugs was when I had the Tulsa Tall shield on the GL1500, and I wouldn’t likely notice a bug strike on the lens until I stopped. Riding in southern Ontario is quite different bug-wise than out here on the open prairie.

I’m reluctant to use a RAM mount on the handlebars because of the road conditions out here (sort of similar to the road to Killarney Park – but often worse).

We have another camera for stills and short videos, but it’s a larger sized thing and we just haven’t developed the knack for hand-held videos. Will probably use both cameras and combine the results over the winter with voice-overs, titles, and music.

Regards,

No 'disrespect' taken, Greg! :laughing:

If you look at the OP's statement, you'll see that he was talking about a camera, not a video camera.

"I was wondering the other day if this would entertaining...

Stop evey 50 miles, no matter where you are, and take a forward facing shot. Then play them back... Might be cool, might be just any old slide show...

just an idea..."

I wouldn't shoot a video above , or away from behind the windscreen either, due to all the wind noise the mic picks up and amplifies! :lash: .... but for still shots, I prefer to shoot above the windshield. I used touse mylarger camera, but it was a pain trying to get it out of it's camera case in my tank bag. My little point n shoot Panasonic that I use for 99% of the shots that I display on this forum, is very easy/quick to whip out of my tank bagand shoot either one handed, or at times with both hands, depending on traffic/road conditions. Guess it also depends on how 'comfortable' you are with your bike, riding with one, or no hands on the bars. :baffling:

Dusty

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

sorry ... double post ..... asleep at the switch here! :?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

You mean we are supposed to ride with our hands on the bars? :badgrin:

I ride from Owasso to Oologah w/o hands on the bars. Does that count?

Mostly level, slow gradual turns, its' fun. Cruise locked on 55 and me looking all over the place, camera having fun.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

sorry ... double post ..... asleep at the switch here! :?Last edited on Mon Jan 2nd, 2012 04:20 pm by Dusty Boots

:lash:

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

I also take pictures while driving. I keep the camera around my neck and just raise it above the windshield. I believe I have gotten some pretty good shots. I will post one that I am found of.
I have tried the"Ram" mount on the handlebar with my video camera and I must say I do not like it. Too much vibration and way too many bumps. It was always jumpy. Never a good filming. I am still trying to find a good way to mount it.
If anyone has a good way to mount please let me know.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
You mean we are supposed to ride with our hands on the bars? :badgrin:

I ride from Owasso to Oologah w/o hands on the bars. Does that count?

Mostly level, slow gradual turns, its' fun. Cruise locked on 55 and me looking all over the place, camera having fun.

Some think we should be, John. :?

Dave took this shot of me while I was passing him, out in CO. The rear seat is very comfortable! :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.