Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was reading a topic on a U.S. based forum about A.B.S. on bikes and thought you guys would find it interesting. The link to an artical is very informative.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continentalteves/continentalteves/themes/press_services/nwp_abs_intermot2004/nwp_abs_intermot2004_en.html

Sorry, the link is a bit long.. my comments fowllowed

As someone who has been driving bikes and tractor trailers and everything in beween for almost 30 yrs nowI think we have to be honest here, in 90% of the cases where A.B.S. had to kick in was because we were caught doing something we should not,, either following to close or not allowing enough room to stop at a light or a stop sign for the road conditions at the time. A.B.S. is not so much designed to stop you faster, as to keep you in control of the vehicle, allowing you steering so you can avoid the hazard if possible, and as a bonus on most road surfaces other then deep snow or fresh gravel it will stop you in a shorter distance. As someone who hated the idea of AB.S. when it first came out to someone who now would not own a vehicle without it, because the other 10% of the time, no matter how careful or cautious we are, we are at the mercy of the other people on the road, and that is very scary, and we need all the help we can get, both from God and technology. Just my 2 cents worth.(I can make change if you feel it's not worth 2 cents :D)

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

That link wouldn't open for me. My understanding of ABS is that it will not stop a vehicle faster simply because instead of keeping the brakes on all the time like on a non ABS vehicle, they pulse the brakes on/of, on/off very rapidly. This means that on identical type vehicles where the amount of braking is the same, the ABS modelwill take a bit longer to stop. But the fact is that ABS brakes give the driver/rider much more confidence and he or she will probably hit the ABSbrakes a lot harder than on a non-ABS vehicle as there is less fear of locking up the wheels. In this situation the ABS vehicle will definitely stop in a shorter distance.
My GL1500 is not ABS of course, I just wish it had. When I get an 1800 it will definitely be an ABS one.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The link is working now Jason. Its an interesting article, although heavily biased towards Continentals own flag waving. It does illustrate the need for ABS on all motorbikes and I think traction control should be added to the list as well.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Yep, I read this article before. :pumpkin:I always hope and

pray that I will never have to use it in any emergency.:crying:

Having said that, when I bought my :18red:2yrs ago

I tested the ABS at a couple of different speeds :stumped:just to

see how she would handle and I must say that I was

very impressed. :clapper: Curiosity is a strange thing. :gunhead:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Quite simply I wouldn't be withoutABS on a Wing now. Just knowing it is there gives me loads of confidence, particularly in the wet which is when I'm most afraid of braking too hard on motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

"A.B.S. On bikes, Good or Bad?"

You've got to be kidding man (no offence intended of course). ABS = 200% more confidence at least. Whoever coined the term "NO MORE FEAR" did so because he or she had just discovered the benefits ofABS brakes on a motorcycle!! :D

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

If you have a choice when buying, why would you choose non-abs unless you didn't have the extra finance for the abs model? I wonder how many GL1800s sold are non-abs?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't be without it now. Much more confident about sticking it to the floor now that I know I have ABS.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

18eugene wrote:
If you have a choice when buying, why would
you choose non-abs unless you didn't have the
extra finance for the abs model? I wonder how
many GL1800s sold are non-abs?
The only non ABS :18red:are sold in the USA and Canada

i think. :crying:Not sold in Europe thank god. :weightlifter:

Would not be without ABS.

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Redwing, just wondering if you've tried your ABS on very slippery surfaces such as sandy, gravelly and or icy roads. I'd be interested in finding how it reacted on a very loose surface as opposed to asphalt or cement.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Vic, I'd say that you would be better off with TCS (traction control) than ABS on a loose gravel or similar surface. Not sure if ABS would be of much use there.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Redwing, just wondering if you've tried your ABS
on very slippery surfaces such as sandy, gravelly
and or icy roads. I'd be interested in finding how
it reacted on a very loose surface as opposed to
asphalt or cement.
Hey Goldwinger1984, :cheeky1:The answer is NO. :gunhead:
and ditto to Jasons reply. :clapper:I ride my :18red:
for fun, :jumper: not for doing stunts. :stumped:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
The only non ABS :18red:are sold in the USA and Canada

i think. :crying:Not sold in Europe thank god. :weightlifter:

Would not be without ABS.

Can only get ABS models here in Canada to.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Redwing brings up a very interesting point. I really wonder how many Gold Wing riders know how to use their brakes in an emergency situation, because as Redwing states, he drives for fun and not for doing stunts. To me, every day driving around other vehicles is like stunt driving.

Redwing please do not take this personal, but, I have fun while seriously driving my Gold Wing also, but, I do know its limits and reactions in emergency maneuvers because I've placed my bike and myself in those situations before they happened for real and before they could have hurt me or my bike.

What I'm saying is that I've locked my front brake at high speed (millisecondmomentarily) to gauge its stopping power and response. I've also tried doing the same with the rear brake to feel its response at various speeds. I know how to recover from a partial skid and regain control because I've placed myself in that situation in controlled circumstances. I've driven my Wing on ice, sand and gravel and never had an upset, (thank God and my self training.)

The reason I asked about ABS and its function on slippery surfaces is because I really wanted to know a real world answer from someone who oprates an ABS equipped bike. I guess I'll only find that answer once I'm actually driving an ABS equipped bike myself.

For now, I think my money would be better spent on learning how to control my Gold Wing better during braking than it would be spent on an expensive ABS system that may (or may not) give me a false sense of security in panic braking situations.

To make a long story short, all I'm saying is to not be fooled by marketing strategies about ABS (they are good systems, no doubt, in the right circumstances) but nothing will prevent an accident more than , wisdom, training, foresight, planning, experience and driving around an accident rather relying on your brakes to stop you short of an accident.

I'll shut up now.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Redwing brings up a very interesting point. I really wonder how many Gold Wing riders know how to use their brakes in an emergency situation,..
Good point Vic. I read a European report (I think I got the link here) about how a very high percentage of falls off bikes are because people (specially learners) hit the brakes the wrong way when something pulls out in front of them. The report was in favour of fitting ABS to ALL bikes big and small.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Redwing brings up a very interesting point. I really wonder how
many Gold Wing riders know how to use their brakes in an
emergency situation.

What I'm saying, I've driven my Wing on ice, sand and gravel
and never had an upset, (thank God and my self training.)

For now, I think my money would be better spent on learning
how to control my Gold Wing better during braking than it
would be spent on an expensive ABS system.

not be fooled by marketing strategies about ABS (they
are good systems, no doubt, in the right circumstances)
but nothing will prevent an accident more than , wisdom,
training, foresight, planning, experience

I'll shut up now.
I have been using bikes for the best part of 30yrs but never

had ABS between my legs untill i invested in the :18red:

about 2yrs ago. I dont know how the :18red:would handle

on Ice, Sand, or Gravel :baffled:because i dont ride on these

surfaces and I have no intentions of doing so.:crying: I would

expect never to use the ABS in normal circumstances, :weightlifter:

but only in the event of something suddenly happening,

ie. person, dog, cattle, etc walking/running

out in front of you. :crying: When the :18red:came

on the market in '00/'01 the majority of people in

your country bought the nonABS, :crying:today for some

reason or otherthey are all buying the ABS. :clapper:

Im sure you have contact with wing riders, you

should ask them why they changed to ABS. :baffled:

The last line that i underlined in your post re training,

planning etc is 100% correct, :clapper:i am a strong preacher

of this. The point about marketing strategies i have

yet to meet the Irishman/woman who would be fooled with this,

especially these guys who ride goldwings. :weightlifter:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:

Good point Vic. I read a European report

(I think I got the link here) about how a very

high percentage of falls off bikes are because

people (specially learners) hit the brakes the

wrong way when something pulls out in front

of them. The report was in favour of fitting ABS

to ALL bikes big and small.

Hey BRowan, I think you better read Goldwinger1984 mesg again. :baffled:

From what im reading he is not in favour of ABS or spending the bucks for it. :crying:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Redwing, I did not say that I am not in favor of ABS. The essence of my original message is that I do not know how the ABS would react on typical road conditions involving sand, gravel or water/ice patches as opposed to spotless clean road surfaces.

The second part of my message, but the most important part, is that most people assume that because they have ABS they are protected from ever sliding into someone/something in an emergency braking situation, that is simply not true and most Gold Wing drivers will never derive the full benefits of ABS because they will simply not put themselves and their bikes into atight enough position where the ABS might help them.

I drive my Wing like it's a sport bike, but, from my observation it seems that most Gold Wing riders drive their Wings like a Cadillac or Lincoln, cushy, posh and elegant.

My original question to you was intended to find out if the ABS system would be a worthwhile benefit for me but our riding styles are so different that we can't relate on this ABS issue.

Please do not take anything I have said as an attack on ABS, but, always remember that your own personally developedskill in driving/braking your Wing effectively will help youin avoidingan accident much better than just thinking that, " I've got ABS, therefore, I can stop in any situation because of the ABS." I just feel that it might be better if motorcycle drivers spent the ABS money on proper driver training first and then once they knew how to stop with regular brakes they could opt for the ABS system afterwards.

Happy Holidays, Vic

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

ABS can stop you in a shorter distance if the conditions are such that there is slippage of the tires. In normal dry high traction situations ABS can actually make stopping distances longer. When the tires are slipping OR the brakes are used so heavily that the tire would skid, ABS can help maintain traction and therefore control.

As stated before ABS helps maintain control while braking which can mean that you can steer better while braking or have a better chance of not sliding sideways and loosing control.

One other benefit of ABS is that it may keep you in your seat during hard stops, the quick pulsating effectively helps the rider keep from fighting against the bike while stopping, thereby further maintaining control. It has been sited in a few studies I have read that some accidents are caused by drivers letting off the brakes either to the discomfort or the noise of the skid or just pure panic - the vehicle is doing something they are not used to and they let off the brake. ABS may help alleviate that. Sorry I don't have a reference to the study, lost it somewhere down the line.

I don't have ABS but wish I did.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.