Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Other side of the pond
Joined
·
3,409 Posts
imported post

Very good points Rootman, it ties in with reports I've read on ABS. The bottom line always tips towards ABS, even where diehard anti-ABS guys wrote the reports. The good points of ABS shine through everything else. I've got ABS on my car, wish it was on my particular Wing as well.

BTW, welcome to the forum and happy Christmas Rootman. Just noticed this was your first post.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Rootman, :waving:Well said, i couldn't have said it better myself. :clapper: Welcome to the forum and have a very happy xmas. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

Roughly 10yrs ago when I rode professionally, BMW introduced what I suspect was one of the first road bikes with ABS and it was given to us to road test by BMW. It was a BMW 1100RS if I remember correctly and I found the initial problem was having the confidence to do on a bike that what was unheard of previously. That was to apply the brakes as hard as you could and virtually stand on the back brake. First attempts where rather tentitive until confidence grew and I discovered that they actually worked.During testing Iwas on a country road and about to pass a tractor when the farmer decided to move to his right without warning to look into a field. No exits and nothing to suggest he was going to close the gap I was heading forduringmy overtake. I stood on the back brake and pulled the front as hard as I could and it stopped with only a slight shudder from the front end. I was about to be written off without it. No doubt there have been improvements since this first effort at ABS on bikes and it would be very high on my must have when choosing a bike to buy. Of all the guys I worked with during this testing I didn't hear a single negative report on the advantages of ABS.

In respect of vehicles fitted with ABS, my former employer did a survey where it was noted that drivers where using the ABS to enhance performance instead of the safety feature it was designed for. In a pursuit driving they found that braking was left late when cornering etc. Drivers were using the ABS in non emergency braking situations to enhance their driving speed which was the one real criticism of ABS I have encountered.

:clapper:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
316 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
Roughly 10yrs ago when I rode professionally, BMW introduced what I suspect was one of the first road bikes with ABS and it was given to us to road test by BMW. It was a BMW 1100RS if I remember correctly and I found the initial problem was having the confidence to do on a bike that what was unheard of previously. That was to apply the brakes as hard as you could and virtually stand on the back brake. First attempts where rather tentitive until confidence grew and I discovered that they actually worked.During testing Iwas on a country road and about to pass a tractor when the farmer decided to move to his right without warning to look into a field. No exits and nothing to suggest he was going to close the gap I was heading forduringmy overtake. I stood on the back brake and pulled the front as hard as I could and it stopped with only a slight shudder from the front end. I was about to be written off without it. No doubt there have been improvements since this first effort at ABS on bikes and it would be very high on my must have when choosing a bike to buy. Of all the guys I worked with during this testing I didn't hear a single negative report on the advantages of ABS.

In respect of vehicles fitted with ABS, my former employer did a survey where it was noted that drivers where using the ABS to enhance performance instead of the safety feature it was designed for. In a pursuit driving they found that braking was left late when cornering etc. Drivers were using the ABS in non emergency braking situations to enhance their driving speed which was the one real criticism of ABS I have encountered.

:clapper:

Well said Littlejohn. ABS is a lifesaver on a bike (wish I had it too). You are right about some car drivers using it for wrong reasons. I suppose it was the same when servo assistance became available years ago. People just leave their braking later and later as less effort is required to think aboout it. :gunhead:
 

·
Best looking member
Joined
·
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
imported post

Rootman wrote:
ABS can stop you in a shorter distance if the conditions are such that there is slippage of the tires. In normal dry high traction situations ABS can actually make stopping distances longer. When the tires are slipping OR the brakes are used so heavily that the tire would skid, ABS can help maintain traction and therefore control.
Welcome aboard Rootman, love your tag line.:D

Further to the list of possibly useless information, The first couple of generations of ABS could indeedmake forlonger braking distances on dry high traction surfaces. But the new systems will actually shorten the distance on dry hight traction surfaces. Can't remember exactly where I read the article, but the new ABS responds so fast and can pump the brakes so much faster then first gen. Thatwhen a tire (tyre)is locked on a dry surface,a little bit of the rubber rolls off of the tire (tyre) and acts almost like little ball bearings, That and small stones and road debris allow the tire to ride on top of them. The new ABS with it's much faster pumping action let the tire roll a little there by ejecting the little bits of bearing like rubber and road debris,And in theory, actually shorting the stopping distance. I am not sure if it's true, I have never seen any actual testing done on it, but it does seem to make sense.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey I hope goldwinger1984 is reading all these mesgs, :clapper:maybe they are getting through, :clapper:but then he states that he rides his wing like a sports bike on ice, gravel, etc and seems to think that ABS is no advantage:gunhead:

:waving: :18red: :waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

Maybe it is a sign of my age but I did a few driving courses at advanced level prior to the introduction of ABS. As part of the course we where taught a system known as 'cadence braking' which is where you virtually pump the brake in ABS fashion as quickly as possible to aid shorter safer braking. When ABS came in the engineers simply took this method a stage beyond by electronically cadence braking at a speed no human could hope to equal and it works. I almost came off my 1500 at the parade of nations in Kelso 2003 when I was cut up by another rider crossing my path. I braked too hard, locked the rear brake and went down the road sideways. The guys behind thought it looked really hairy. Point is this wouldn't have happened with ABS as the rear wheel wouldn't have locked up. ABS first, shiney bits next??
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey littlejohn, :waving:Been there done that, :clapper:and ABS cannot be bought as an extra. :leprechaun:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
224 Posts
imported post

If you ever tried to stop a GL1500 in a hurry, from about 65mph with a cage pulling out in front of you, you will really appreciate ABS when you get a bike that has it. I won't ever buy a Goldwing without ABS again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the welcomes. Been part of the 1800 Owners and 1800 Riders forums for some time. Thought I'd pop in and say cheers!

I'd have to say after lurking around a bit I find this board to be a bit more civil than the others. :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
286 Posts
imported post

Rootman wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes. Been part of the 1800 Owners and 1800 Riders forums for some time. Thought I'd pop in and say cheers!

I'd have to say after lurking around a bit I find this board to be a bit more civil than the others. :cool:
Welcome Rootman, nice avatar you have there. It's fairly friendly here. Even the top posted REDWINGS bark is worse than his bite,more likea gummy crocodile really. Happy Christmas to you and all. :waving:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Grouchomax wrote:


Welcome Rootman, nice avatar you have there. It's fairly friendly here. Even the top posted REDWINGS bark is worse than his bite,
Hey Grouchomax, :whip: ggrrrrrraaahhh. :whip:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:
 

·
Best looking member
Joined
·
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
imported post

Rootman wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes. Been part of the 1800 Owners and 1800 Riders forums for some time. Thought I'd pop in and say cheers!

I'd have to say after lurking around a bit I find this board to be a bit more civil than the others. :cool:
Hi Rootman, thought the name and the tag line looked familiar. You-ll like it here, quite different from the US based forums. No better, no worse, just different. I don't think you will ever see a topic on the best place to carry a gun on a Goldwing on this site.:):):)
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
Rootman wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes. Been part of the 1800 Owners and 1800 Riders forums for some time. Thought I'd pop in and say cheers!

I'd have to say after lurking around a bit I find this board to be a bit more civil than the others. :cool:
Hi Rootman, You-ll like it here, quite different from the US based forums. No better, no worse, just different. I don't think you will ever see a topic on the best place to carry a gun on a Goldwing on this site.:):):)
Hey goldwinger, :waving:We Irish are very friendly people and we dont abuse our visitors. :leprechaun: This is a better forum than any other on the www. :jumper:You forgot to mention to Rootman that there is also the chance of promotion on this forum to the rank of "Guru" :clapper: and of course your 100% correct when you mentioned about the guns. :whip: They have nothing to do with :18red: :15red: :1000yellow:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:



 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
imported post

Being American I have to agree. I was really turned off by the "Gun" threads and sundry bad mouthing that is going on in the other forums. I have a GW for the peace and quiet and relaxation it gives me, not to tote around a handgun or listen to futile arguments.

As long as you guys don't mind another Yank hanging out around here I'll stick around.

:18black: 2002 Black
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Rootman wrote:
Being American I have to agree. I was really turned off by the "Gun" threads and sundry bad mouthing that is going on in the other forums. I have a GW for the peace and quiet and relaxation it gives me, not to tote around a handgun or listen to futile arguments.

As long as you guys don't mind another Yank hanging out around here I'll stick around
Hey Rootman, :waving: As we say in the Irish Language "Cead Mile Failte" which means "One Hundred Thousand Welcomes" This applies to allYanks and of course all the other Nationalities on this great forum. Merry xmas to all. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey Rootman, :waving: As we say in the Irish Language "Cead Mile Failte" which means "One Hundred Thousand Welcomes"

Is that actually Gaelic?

I was looking for someone who would translate "Black Stallion" into Gaelic for me. Could you do it? I got a rough translation online but it sounded dumb.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Rootman wrote:
I was looking for someone who would translate "Black Stallion" into Gaelic for me. Could you do it? I got a rough translation online but it sounded dumb.
Hey Rootman, :waving: My translation of Black Stallion to the Irish Language is, "AnStail Dubh" or you can also say "An gCapaill Dubh" which means Black Horse. :clapper:I have a blackfemale horse and her name is"Black Beauty" and I call her Beauty for short. :leprechaun:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:
 
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top