Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Redwing, that's a terrific article on ABS, thank you. And since it's Christmas time you shall receive a couple squirts of mana. Hope you enjoy it. LOL

Have a wonderful Christmas and thank the adminsfor letting me be a part of this wonderful Irish Gold Wing site.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

ABS was designed for improved control on surfaces other than hard and dry. It allows for the prevention of brake lock-up so the driver can steer the vehicle away from a possible collision. However, stopping distances are not dramatically decreased with ABS, contrary to the hype that's out there. Once the wheels are locked up and in skid mode, control and tractionare lost, hence the longer stopping distances. This was on one of my General Motors ASME exams, so I had to research it. On motorcycles, in my humble opinion, it's a vast improvment over conventional braking in that there are only two wheels vs four hitting the pavement, and a biker is more apt to lean & brake at the same time to avoid a collision, keeping both wheels turning and biting into the steering arc. How many of us have had the rear wheel start to slide out in front during hard braking, even on a straight course? Hope this helps clear up the mystique because all of the posts here are correct in one way or another. Happy :santahat:!!!!!!!!!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Someday, we'll have robot driven machines that will drive us around. They'll have expensive computers that will stop the machine before it gets too close to another vehicle. We will no longer be allowed to drive our bikes because too many of us got into too many accidents because we didn't think carefully about our driving. That will be so much fun for us motorcycle drivers when it happens.

Thank goodness for computerized driving assists that can replace common sense, wisdom and skill.

Heck, we won't even need driver training anymore. There's so many advantages to replacing human intelligence with artificial, especially, if your filthy rich and spending money is of no concern.

Vic

Have a wonderful Christmas and please drive safely.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Redwing, that's a terrific article on ABS, thank you. And since it's Christmas time you shall receive a couple squirts of mana. Hope you enjoy it. LOL

Have a wonderful Christmas and thank the adminfor letting me be a part of this wonderful Irish Gold Wing site.
Hey Goldwinger1984, :waving: Your only allowed to give me one squirt. :whip: It's taking my barrells a long time to fill up with this bloody "Mana"

Have a great xmas yourself and your more than welcome to this forum, :clapper: dont worry about the admin, :baffled:I have to recommend all new members to him before they are allowed full membership. :grinner:

Thats another satisfied member, now for more "Mana" :bat:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.