Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

NO JOKE~!!! Here was his first problem:

" I had taken a great motorbike course at the B.C. Safety Council and had learned more than a lot of licensed riders ever know."

Had a friend from California (US) that said the "kids" on "crotch rockets" were called "statistics" because they go canyon racing and drive off cliff sides.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Lessons are always worth taking from experienced riders. I'm always amazed at teh new things we learn every day. We can always learn a few tips from any course, including for motorcycles. The sheer bulk (and price) of Goldwings tends to discourage crazy riding, but there are other things to learn instead. Like stopping all that weight safely, cornering etc.

The guy who wrote that story is lucky, he lived to tell the tale. The graveyards are full of people who didn't get the chance to warn the rest of us...

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

If they were proper mates he would have been up front dictating the pace,

Having being a keen motorcyclist for 30 yrs, and advanced rider and driver for 15yrs, I always have travelled at my own pace, if the group get to far ahead you always catch them up at some stage being lights, junctions or Traffic police issuing a ticket.

I have had to body bag one too many riders.

Remember accidents just don't happen, they are caused by some one doing some thing wrong.

Ride with in your own capabilities.

G

·
imported post

The golden rule when riding in a group is :walker:"The Speed of the Group is as fast asthat of the Slowest Rider" and he or she should be in the front. :clapper:This young man was lucky to live and tell the story, :crying:but the bike he was riding is not for a novice/learner.:whip:

:baffled: :18red: :baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The YELLOW stripe I've grown on my back is the safest color!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I remember my first big ride, up on a brand new CB750 and riding with two Kawasaki 650 Commandos. We had just met at a coffee shop in Japan and they invited me along. First big curve, I was trailing, pushing too hard and at the last moment I brought it up instead of leaning further down. Well need I say what happened? I went very wide into the opposing lane and raping every single turtle in the divider! You know sometimes you can pinch a certain part of your anatomy when bouncing on the saddle? Oh YES!!!

I stopped, put down the side stand and sat there leaning backclutching my crotch waiting for those exquisite pains to finish washing over me. Ohhhhh I actually vomited!!

LOLOL!!!! Just this last weekend, the wife and I were tooling along on Soarise when a kid we know pulled up alongside on his crotch rocket, we rode side by side to the first series of S curves, then Jr. pulled far ahead while I patted Sandi's knee, then my crotch and went on to enjoy the day and the ride.

I've been down more than once, I raced TAR for a time and did some trials. I will say this, I ride the roads for pleasure. I have nothing to prove to myself nor any other man. If I am chewing my stomach in a turn, I am going too fast and it is not pleasure nor fun. I slow down and if the pack should leave me, well I never saw those two lads on the Commandos again either and my life has been quite rich without them.

LOLOL!! Leave me behind, I won't be lonely. My lady will be with me.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

and after one learns all there is to know about motorcycle riding (ha!) , there comes along some idiot in a motor car doing something brilliant. The "other guy" made me much more afraid than the cycle ever did.

I was fortunate to make 2nd place in AMA motorcross racing on the 3 wheeler and not getting a scratch in the process by staying just a bit back in the pack. Points did the trick. Its hard to win if some SPORE (spastic person on racing equipment) nerfs you into oblivion.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

I emailed Adrian to see how he is doing and he is happliy married (not to the girl in the story) and life is good. He hasnt ridden another bike since then and doubts he ever will.

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

I am new to the Goldwing thing (weight). I have had a motorcycle license for(20 yrs)almost all of my driving time (24 yrs). I have limited riding miles under my belt. I would say less than 30,000 total miles in 20 yrs. (not counting dirt bikes). I have always ridden smaller bikes (750cc or less).

The wing definitely makes me aware of my lack of experience. It is definitely a lot of bike. I have only had it about a month and have only put 1000 miles on it. I am just now getting to the point where I am teaching myself to relax when I feel myself tense up (like in cornering or when dealing with traffic). What a difference relaxing makes in bike control for me. My cornering is getting smoother andI am not trying to square off corners anymore. I am also getting better with balance. I can almost fully stop without putting my feet down. I have learned that when there is a pothole in the road, "don't stare at it" or your sure to hit it. Instead I look at where I want to go, and wouldn't you know it, I would miss the pothole. I know I have lots to learn and I could really benefit from a riders course I'm sure.

I have never ridden in group rides, but being a new member of the GWRRA as well, I will probably attend some rides, and am looking forward to learning how to handle these awesome bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Johnny,

Just remember in group rides, if the pack is pulling away, think of Christy behind you and LET THEM GO!!

Sandi and I will be back there already waiting on you!! LOLOL!!

Wings, or any other big tourer, take getting used to. Group rides are not the best way to do this. I have a number of miles on wings, but having been away for a time I had to readjust myself to the weight and the long turning radius. It took time and I was not up to rat packing whil I was doing it. Even now, rat packing is simply not worth it.

G

·
imported post

jprodko wrote:
I am new to the Goldwing thing (weight).

The wing definitely makes me aware of my lack of experience. I have learned that when there is a pothole in the road, "don't stare at it" or your sure to hit it. Instead I look at where I want to go, and wouldn't you know it, I would miss the pothole.

I have never ridden in group rides, but being a new member of the GWRRA as well, I will probably attend some rides, and am looking forward to learning how to handle these awesome bikes.
Hey jprodko, :waving:Your very welcome to the forum and visit often. :clapper:My advice to youwith regard to group riding is, :stumped:keep away from them untill you get enough experience under your belt :whip: unless you are allowed to lead the pack. :jumper: Then you can set the pace to suit yourself. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey jprodko, :waving:Your very welcome to the forum and visit often. :clapper:My advice to youwith regard to group riding is, :stumped:keep away from them untill you get enough experience under your belt :whip: unless you are allowed to lead the pack. :jumper: Then you can set the pace to suit yourself. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

And that advice comes from our leader of the pack, Redwing. He always leads from the front.

First in pension queue.

First to the loo.

First to borrow his neighbours wing

First to loose Shep

First on the daily Goldwing forum.

What more do you require from a leader of the Pack?

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

jprodko wrote:
I have limited riding miles under my belt. I would say less than 30,000 total miles in 20 yrs. (not counting dirt bikes). I have always ridden smaller bikes (750cc or less).
That dirt bike experience is extremely valuable in learning to survive on the street. Shifting weight like on the dirt can save your hide in emergency manuvers.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Thanks everyone for the great advice. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.