Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In the age of SELF THINKING vehicles with all these wonderful new technological developments, gadgets and gizmos to make everything more Environmentally clean ,safe and better etc. etc..
Why not use a better, safer, lighter, more powerful and longer lasting maintenance free Battery .
Instead of these old acid eating dinosaurs batteries used today.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

Hey there Gl 1500 SE.

I put an SVR Sealed Maintenance Free battery in my wing 4 1/2 years ago.

I wrote the date on the side of it with a marker pen of when I installed it. It cost a little more, but has out-lasted the 2 or so years I usually got out of my lead/acic batteries.

It may be due to die, but so far it checks good and has been the best I have usedyet. I got it at Grand Prix Motorcycle accessories, in Costa Mesa, Ca., but bet you could find one there in Perth.

I'm still waiting for the day when you open a slot in the glove compartment, drop in 2 watch batteries and the vehicle (car or bike) goes 2000 miles without gas or batteries. You know, like watch-battery sized nuclear power.....

Of course that is just another item on my wish list along with windshield wipers, an 8 cylinder and an automatic.:cheeky1:

Here's a link too.

http://www.svrbatteries.com/

Here's how it works.

http://www.svrbatteries.com/faqs.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for your suggestion and advise.

Since this part of the forum is suppose to be as Feedback for Honda’s GoldWing Team, to design and manufacture better GLs in the future, one of the issues that I have come across that has always been a weakness of any vehicle, has been the battery.

I believe that if you do a survey you will find that my suggestion of using a better, lighter, maintenance free battery will be amongst everyone’s top 10 list.

By the way, I have had the same Standard Acid battery from Turbo (made in Taiwan) for the past 8 year.
She is still kicking and hopefully will be kicking for a while more. I am going for the record.

It is all in the wrist.:dude: ( How you take care of your battery.)

Hope in future all Hondas come with better batteries. Starting with the bikes.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

The number of years your battery has lasted is amazing to me.

But I guess you must have some magical way of taking care of your battery, all right.

The SVR, requires no maintenance or water. I like that since I have gotten lazy in my old age.

Since your battery is living on the edge, hopefully it wont give out when you least expect it. It might be a good time to change it and not push the envelope.

If you turn on your key and lights and not the engine and it dies within 10 minutes.....it's time to change.

I have lots of lights and extra electrical stuff on my bike, so I draw more too. That's my test.

Ride easy....and with light:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

By the way, it seems that Chrysler has just released a battery driven CrossFire.
Using Lithium Batteries.
Hmmmmm, maybe the day you are dreaming of is not so far away.
Honda has been dabbing with batteries for a while now, so let’s see what sort of magical batteries they are going to release in their vehicles, soon.

There is no secret or special magical remedy to keep a battery alive for many years.

It all start from the beginning. When the battery is dry charged.
A lot of workshops add battery acid and chuck it in the bike and start the bike.

It is highly recommended by the manufacturers that the battery should be fully charged after adding battery acid. A full charge could be anything between 6-12 hours.
I doubt that any workshop is going to abide by this rule. To them it is a waste of time.

Although the battery is charged by the bike’s alternator. It is highly recommended that the battery is serviced at the same time as the bike is.
Which means that you should remove the battery, fill the cells up to the recommended level put the battery on a piece of wood and not directly on the ground or any metallic surface.
Then charge the battery with a battery charger specifically made for a motorcycle battery.
NEVER USE A CAR CHARGER.
Whilst charging remove the filler caps and use an old cloth to cover the top of the battery.

When ever you the bike is garaged for a longer period of time or is not going to be used for a while, remove the battery and charge it.
Then every moth check up on the battery and if needed charge it again.

During summer heat and after long rides ALWAYS check the battery acid levels and top up if needed.

I know that my battery is on her last leg. But, I had to make a point to the guys in the club who all said that now days the batteries sold last only a couple of seasons max.
So, I let them decide which battery they want to choose, date it and sign it and I will see how long I can make it last.
Now days they don’t even dare to ask me if I still run the same old battery.

Again, a smaller, lighter, maintenance free, more powerful, longer lasting battery on GL’s would be a highly welcomed feature.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

SVR batteries are still just lead/acid batteries. No great change there.

I used to work in a battery development and testing facility, developing software that drove the testing equipement.

Lead acid batteries are still used because they are cheap and reliable. The advice to keep them charged is right on the money, if you don't their life is dramatically shortened.

Lithium batteries have their own problems such as they can explode if drained and recharged improperly. Also, Li batteries lose between 10% and 20% of their capacity every year regarless of whether they are used.

By the way, I've had maintenance free batteries in my cars for decades. All that means is when the acid starts to disappear, you need a new battery. The same is true of the three UPSs in my house, they all have sealed lead/acid batteries.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Good to have someone in the industry.
Maybe you can throw in a bob pr two worth of advise to the Honda designers for the next generation of better batteries on the GLs.

Totally agree with you on the sealed lead /acid batteries.
I have had 2 of them in my mobile home for the past 10 years or so.

I just mentioned the Li batteries and Chryslers new CrossFire just to get some reaction in the Honda castle.
Not that I suggested they should use them.
However, as I understand the batteries used in the CrossFire are a new generation. The main reason for using them was the size and weight factor, since the car has an electrical motor running it.
They showed it on TV few days ago and the guy from Chrysler was sooooooo proud of the fact that battery could be recharged in less than 5 hours to full and was good for 500Km of travel for a mere cost of $2.00.
With today’s oil and petrol prices, that would be very nice in our pockets.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

I'd love to see electric cars running around on the road. I subscribed to popular science when I was a youngster (35 years ago) and they were always writing about the coming of the battery powered cars. Finally the automotive industry came up with hybrids.

The biggest problem that they always talked about with electric cars was recharge time. If you're cruising across the country, you don't want to have to stop every 300 miles and kill two hours while your car charges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.