Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I bought a '98 GL1500 SE with 139,000+ miles on it and have been searching this forum for threads and tips to help with getting it road worthy. There was a problem with the idle. that was a few weeks ago and although I spend much of my time at home learning about the bike, I realized that a mechanic needed to check it out and do a few maintenance procedures to it if it was ever to be ridden this year.:) Got it back today from one of the most honest and fair priced mechanics I have ever met. It sounds so good and holds an idle down to 600rpms while still almost cold. I have never ridden a m/c before, only the 400cc Burgman scooter which is a twist and go. My thoughts were learn to ride without having the distraction of clutching then get a m/c. I have used the scoot every day for 2 years now with the exception of a few snow days and have been having a great time with it. So much so I had to sell my car before it began rotting. Only used it twice in 2 years. If I never use a car again it will be alright with me. Tomorrow I am going to ride and clutch for the first time so I will start off slowly to learn the technique and where the controls are. I don't want to reach for the brake and accidentally pull in the clutch.:) Well, I will have questions for you guys and at 60 yrs find that I am able to take advise. So, see you in the threads and thanks for being there. Have a safe and fun summer. John

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Welcome! You're a smart fellow, working your way toward a cruising bike like you did. I'm sure you'll be equally smart in practicing handling the heft of a Wing before heading out, especially into any kind of serious traffic.

Wings are deceptive, though. They're heavy but with any momentum, they're light as a feather due to perfect balance. Never ridden a bike quite like it. Good Luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. Got a place all picked out just a quarter mile away. The hairy part will be riding it-a quarter mile away shifting 1st & 2nd...maybe 3rd. Like Cornpone said, I need to get a feel for the heft at very low speed. I'll get there...on a Wing and a Prayer. oops, my first GW pun. Sorry about that.

·
Just Winging It
3,325 Posts
For me it took a little while but now the bike is just an extinction of myself.:) Yah should shut her off and lay her down standing next to her butt toward the seat and feet clear of her just so you know.
You'll never forget that way and you don't want to break a hip.
Then you will know when to let her go.
Their is a video on how to pick her up so I am told.

Maybe someone will post it I can't find it.

You will drop her.

Anyone with experience on these wings has.

It's best to know how heavy they are so you don't hurt youself.

Have fun I love mine. GL1200I 1986

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:
J Hammer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gonna have a cup of coffee and then give it my best shot. I'm really looking forward to this. I will, of course let you guys know how it went. Thanks for the good words and advice. If it starts to go over I am letting it go. The Burgman 400 taught me that. I laid it down the first week I had her. Pulled a muscle and still couldn't save it. Ok, later.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First practice day on a motorcycle

Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions. I am going to begin a thread in the General Motorcycle Discussion Forum for this. Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
63,645 Posts
Hallo J Hammer

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Welcome from Bismarck ND

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.